How to Style a Black Maxi Skirt | Tied On One Side, With a Graphic Tee

Black maxi skirt, graphic t-shirt, pointed block heels
So if you want to style your plain black maxi skirt in a slightly more interesting way, here’s a stroke of genius I had over the weekend! It may not be particularly ground-breaking and it’s probably in Pinterest if you search for it, but I simply created a ruched effect on one side by pinching the seam of the skirt about halfway down one thigh and pinning it with a brooch at the waist. I was actually pretty pleased with myself – it gives a bit of texture to an otherwise dull black skirt and creates an asymmetric hem. It shows off a bit of leg and fabulous heels, too 😉

I paired it with a graphic tee (you can’t go wrong with grey marl) and those pink pointed heels I last wore here. They seem to go in and out of stock so if they’re out of stock when you’re reading this then you might like these metallic pink block heels (also by Asos) instead; if you ever like anything at Asos never wait to buy if you desperately want it – stuff sells out very quickly!

Have you any clever styling tricks (like my skirt) that you’re super proud of? Do share in the comments!

Black maxi skirt, graphic t-shirt, pointed block heels
Graphic t-shirt, Barry M Blueberry nails
Black maxi skirt, pointed embellished heels
Black maxi skirt, graphic t-shirt
T-shirt: c/o La Redoute | Skirt: Asos | Shoes: Asos (I love these ones) | Necklace: Old, unknown | Bag: Debenhams (old) | Sunglasses: FCUK (similar) | Nails: Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Blueberry

Shop the look:

TwitterFacebookBloglovinInstagramGoogle PlusPinterest
P.S. If you haven’t already, sign up for my fortnightly newsletter and never miss a thing!

Photos: Silver Londoner | Linking up to: Visible Monday, Let It Shine, Share in Style, Monday Mingle, Style Sessions, Turning Heads Tuesday, Trend Spin Link-Up, What I Wore Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, Passion for Fashion Friday, Friday’s Fab Favourites

1. May 13, 2015 / 2:24 pm

Well, now you can find the exact look on Pinterest as I immediately had to pin it to my "Favourite Blogger Looks" board 🙂
    Love the look and your brilliant idea of this ruched effect, Catherine!

xo
    Annette | Lady of Style

• May 13, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Haha thank you, Annette!! Long before I'll ever get round to pinning my own outfit pictures…!! So glad you liked it, thank you my lovely xx

• May 13, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Rena thank you! I thought it added that extra "something" that the outfit needed…!

• May 13, 2015 / 4:29 pm

DEFINITELY your kinda shoes, Jess… I can totally see you in these (if they're not too high for you) – they are so "you"!! Thank you so much xo

2. May 13, 2015 / 7:19 pm

Nifty little trick there Catherine!! Fab shoes and legs x

3. May 13, 2015 / 7:39 pm

You look gorgeous as usual, those shoes are so pretty!
    x

• May 13, 2015 / 11:02 pm

Oohh I'll come and check it out, Suzanne!! And thank you for the lovely comment :))

4. May 13, 2015 / 11:28 pm

A great way to wear your maxi skirt. I have also knotted my maxi on the bottom off to the side when the skirt is too long if I wear flats and really like how that turned out too.

Alice

Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

5. May 14, 2015 / 1:21 pm

I really have to cheer now. I think it is a marvellous idea. It makes the skirt so feminine. A Dutch brand (very expensive one) called Pauw made skirts full length with two extra layers of material at one side hem. Then you had to pull one layer to the back and the other layer to the front and tie them together at the other side. Looked just as marvelous as your genius solution. And it cost a fortune.
    Well done dear.
    Greetje

• May 16, 2015 / 10:31 am

That's some wonderful praise, Greetje – thank you soooooo much!!

6. May 14, 2015 / 2:54 pm

I agree with the crowd….it is indeed brilliant! What a great idea for travelling, as it can be more casual for the day hanging normally, and then pin it up for the evening! Applause, applause!!! jodie
    ps…My latest "hey, check this out" idea was to use one of my dad's cuff links to hold together a open weave sweater that had no closures of it's own!

• May 16, 2015 / 10:33 am

That would work really well, Jodie, to switch it up for the evening… I like that idea! Plus using cufflinks is also genius… Thank you!!

7. May 15, 2015 / 5:35 am

What a great trick 🙂 Your skirt now looks amazing, allowing your cute shoes to really shine. The blue nail polish is fantastic!

• May 16, 2015 / 10:34 am

I think the fact that the skirt was hiding my shoes inspired me to do it, Tine!! Thank you sweetie x

8. May 15, 2015 / 4:51 pm

This is a great idea! It's a great way to transform a maxi skirt to something different! Love it, need to try it on some of mine.
    Melissa

9. May 17, 2015 / 9:10 pm

You do look really good in this skirt. You did it right by tucking in the tee to show that pleat on the skirt. If I want it to be more fun, I think matching it with a cropped top without tucking it in would look good too =)

• May 19, 2015 / 2:36 pm

That is also a good idea, Yen – I'll make a note of that…! Thank you hun x

10. May 17, 2015 / 10:51 pm

I have another outfit of yours to add to my all-time favourites list, dearest Catherine!! WOW!! Yes, it might "just" be a graphic-tee-and-maxi-skirt combination…but the way you've styled the skirt (I've used this pinning trick with a dress before, believe it or not!) – plus those gorgeous pink princess shoes and the movie-star shades – has me swooning!! XOXO

• May 19, 2015 / 2:39 pm

Ohhhh I should have known I wasn't the first, Monika… that's just spoilt it for me (joking)!!!!!! Seriously – I didn't think I was the first but I didn't remember seeing it anywhere so I was really pleased with myself for thinking of something that I HADN'T seen on Pinterest ;))

And thank you – for such a simple outfit it's amazing how popular it's been with everyone! C x