How to Style a Black Superhero Graphic Tee | With Smart Track Pants

Black graphic tee with Panama hat, khaki track pants, strappy platforms
This is one of my signature styles: Lots of rich neutrals and textures; quite tomboyish; a graphic tee or bold print; denim or chinos; a cap or hat. I’ll often reach for the masculine chic look on the weekend, but try to throw in at least one small feminine element, like a heel or a pretty scarf.

Here I started with the graphic tee – an Obama hero t-shirt I bought in NYC many years ago. I’d never worn it before (I was actually keeping it as a souvenir), but as I was doing the graphic tee themed day for #iwillwearwhatilike on Instagram I was actually hunting for my Duran Duran 1983 tour t-shirt – and found this instead. It only needed these khaki track pants from Marks & Spencer (yes, M&S again!), a Panama, heels and – the likes of which I have a serious “thing” for right now – blue mirrored aviators.

I’ve done this style in various guises over the years – you’ll see what I mean looking at these versions:

So you can see there are various key pieces that pop up again and again… See what I mean about a style? I hadn’t realised it before now but it’s interesting to see how my outfits have evolved over the years yet remained true to my personal style.

Then there’s the fit-and-flare dresses with heels, but that’s a whole other story…!

Do you have a signature style that’s a tried-and-tested formula for you? What key pieces are part of that look – do share in the comments!

Black graphic tee with Panama hat, khaki track pants, strappy platformsBlack graphic tee with Panama hat, khaki track pants, strappy platformsBlack graphic tee with Panama hat, khaki track pantsBlack graphic tee with Panama hatT-shirt: Midtown Comics (NYC, 2009) | Track pants: Marks & Spencer | Panama hat: Tumi at Amazon (similar) | Sandals: Debenhams SS13 (I like these) | Bag: Karen Millen | Sunglasses: Asos | Watch: Fossil | Bracelets: Asos, SENCE Copenhagen | Nails: Essie Ruffles & Feathers | Toenails: Chanel Blue Boy

Shop the look:

TwitterFacebookBloglovinInstagramGoogle PlusPinterestYouTube
P.S. Like this post? You might also enjoy 12 Ways to Wear 4 Classic Hat Styles!

Linking up to: Visible MondayLet It ShineMonday MingleStyle Sessions, Turning Heads TuesdayTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayBrilliant Blog PostsThrowback ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab Favourites

• August 11, 2015 / 5:49 pm

Oh I'm definitely a blazer girl too, Jodie! Just maybe a bit less so since working f/time at home…!

1. August 10, 2015 / 5:50 pm

You suit the tomboyish-edge to your look….but you always remain so feminine.
    I loved looking through your previous outfits and having a little flat cap envy (I love hats)…I must see if i can find my grandpas….

• August 11, 2015 / 5:50 pm

Aw that's really sweet of you, Samantha, thank you! And I don't think I'll ever tire of flat caps, whether they're in fashion or not…!! x

2. August 10, 2015 / 6:24 pm

Very, very cool. So relaxed and confident. xo

• August 11, 2015 / 5:52 pm

I do – it was a Seven and the Ragged Tiger one, though I'm a little worried about where it is now! I found the program and the (Wembley) ticket, the t-shirt is evading me right now 🙁

Thank you Stephanie! x

3. August 11, 2015 / 1:31 am

Love this casual chic look!
    xoxo –

4. August 11, 2015 / 5:55 am

My formula for work is pencil skirt + blazer and on the weekend it's all about comfy wear. Love this outfit on you!

Would love to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

5. August 11, 2015 / 7:06 am

My signature style has always been jeans, preferably skinny ones! I'm a casual girl when to comes to clothes but as I approach my 40th birthday (just a few months to go!) and the start of my new lifestyle blog, I realise it's time I started to look the part. I love the way you've paired the graphic tee with the rest of this outfit – I'd alway assume such a t-shirt would only 'go' with jeans and trainers. How wrong could I be?
    Suzy x

• August 13, 2015 / 8:21 pm

I've worn another graphic tee with a ladylike full midi skirt a month or two ago, Suzy – that's one of my favourite combos! I often like a contrast of masculine and feminine, though here the feminine is the heels. And welcome to your 40s – you're going to love it!!!! Thanks my lovely x

• August 14, 2015 / 4:52 pm

Thanks Catherine! I'm going to try and find your other post now 🙂
      Suzy x

6. August 11, 2015 / 8:12 am

Love this look. I will have to dig out my 'vintage' tees. What is the fit like on the M&S pants? I have seen these on a few people and they look great. A nice change from my usual skinnies. X

• August 13, 2015 / 8:24 pm

Hi Alex, thank you so much! I hover between two sizes depending on the brand, but here I went for the larger size and they're a perfect fit. They're meant to be a loose fit anyway of course, but as the waist is a drawstring it allows for any slight fluctuation (like after a heavy meal, haha). Hope that helps…! xx

7. August 11, 2015 / 11:32 am

Just so cute! And loving your hashtag instagram too 🙂 Thanks for linking-up with Turning Heads Tuesday today! Sabina | Oceanblue Style

• August 13, 2015 / 8:26 pm

Sabina I'm so pleased – thank you!! And yes everyone seems to be really embracing the #iwillwearwhatilike hashtag which is kind of amazing. It's been so much fun and we're not even halfway yet…!!

8. August 13, 2015 / 11:58 pm

This is a cool look! I like the hat and the braid along with the block heels to add that touch of girliness! If I wasnt on vacation I would particiapte more in the IG # fun, will try!
    Thank you for linking up with Turning Heads Tuesday'
    jess xx

9. August 18, 2015 / 3:41 pm

I love dressing up graphic tee's too! Love that hat!