Monochrome Knit With Khaki & a Necklace Hair Tuck

Black & white with khaki
Spring sunshine and milder temperatures… what a joy to have some sunny weather at last! This weekend marked the first day this year of being able to go out without a thick coat, scarf and three pairs of socks tucked inside boots (well it seemed that way at least). I may not have embraced spring colours – choosing a whole load of black and white with olive green instead – but it was great to bare just a bit of skin and soak up the sun.

We defied the rules of photographing outfits and took these in the direct sun – my olive green trousers seemed so much lighter and brighter out of the shade. Although the white of the two-tone sweater was somewhat blasted with light, it was just about saved by the thick ribbing which added a little detail to its brightness. Sometimes you gotta break the rules with photography (a bit like style I guess) to make it work for you.

One other trick I tried: the necklace hair tuck. After fooling quite a few of you (unintentionally!) the other week with my faux bob/sweater hair tuck, I simply left my hair inside my bobble necklace. I rather liked the slight hair mess it made, and it added a touch of femininity to an other masculine chic outfit.

Do you have any tricks to add a touch of femininity to a masculine outfit? Are you a fan of masculine chic like me? Do share in the comments!

Black & white with khaki
Black & white with khaki
Emerald green ring finger manicure
Grey cap, necklace hair tuck

Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W
Shop my look!

Sweater: Asos, Trousers: Asos, Cap: F&F Clothing, Necklace: Gift, Brogues: eBay (similar), Bag: Next, Sunglasses: Unknown (old), Nails: Barry M Gelly Watermelon GNP3 & Barry M Spring Green 290

Linking up to: Visible Monday, Monday Mingle, Funday MondayStyle SessionsTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore Wednesday, All Things Thursday, Three-Fer Thursday, Passion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab FavouritesSunday Style Link-Up

1. March 9, 2014 / 5:04 pm

This is by far my favourite look for spring, nice edge to it and the cap makes it look cheeky! Nice ensemble!
    FF

2. March 9, 2014 / 5:40 pm

Khaki is one of the colours I just can't get to grips with. I do however love the cut of those trousers. Perfect for a Sunday like today : )

3. March 9, 2014 / 6:58 pm

What a wonderfully Spring-like look without losing wearability (it's still a tad nippy out of the sun). I love the bi-coloured brogues and flat cap (wardrobe staples of mine!), but the olive trousers are a super addition! Px

4. March 9, 2014 / 9:04 pm

I just got my khaki trousers out again as I haven't worn them for quite a while.
    Glad you enjoyed the nice weather, I certainly did, it is amazingly warm and sunny here.

Have a good week,
    Hugs,
    Annette | Lady of Style

5. March 9, 2014 / 9:57 pm

You look great, love the colours of your outfit! And I must say that your accessories are superb, they beautifully contribute to the whole impression and vibe! <3 xoxo

6. March 10, 2014 / 1:29 am

You suit khaki as you're warm skinned and I love the hat and glasses. Very stylish and individual. Lovely day for photos too!

7. March 10, 2014 / 1:40 am

Oh, and I see flowers too! I'm jealous of your weather… But most importantly, I LOVE this outfit. All the black and white is just great.

8. March 10, 2014 / 8:41 am

What a great look, Catherine! And that hair tuck works well on you.

I used to like the masculine look from time to time. My long, blond, curly hair makes it feminine right away. Also adding some accessories does the trick.

Since living in the tropics I have not gone for that look in a while now.

9. March 10, 2014 / 11:25 am

Catherine you look amazing! I love the monochrome top and shoes with the green trousers and the hat really completes the look perfectly. The hair tuck is also a very chic touch. I can't believe how lucky we have been this weekend, the weather has been truly beautiful. We've also been breaking the rules to and I have to say i've actually enjoyed taking photos in the direct sunlight, something different I guess 🙂

Take care,

10. March 10, 2014 / 1:46 pm

I LOVE the color block top and the hat! You look great!

11. March 10, 2014 / 6:04 pm

I'm so in love with this! Those brogues are gorgeous! I have a black and white pair that I may need to style like this! Thanks for the inspiration. Visiting from Sunday style.

12. March 11, 2014 / 5:00 am

You look amazing, dearest Catherine!! Love the way these photos turned out…aside from the opportunity to enjoy another one of your fab fashion stylings, being bathed in some "virtual sunshine" was exactly what I needed after a somewhat challenging start to my week (I won't bore you with too many details, but it involved coaxing my parents into getting an Internet connection – they've been using a data plan for their iPad – and then me having to make endless calls to technical support because nothing went as planned!!) But here you are; in a cute, tomboyish outfit that totally made me forget my woes!! With my own short hair, I kind of have that "boy" thing going all the time…I'm usually trying to make sure I have enough feminine elements in my look to keep the balance!! XO

13. March 11, 2014 / 12:34 pm

I'm so happy you did take the photos in the direct sun, it looks so warm and wonderful! It's been such a gray winter that I'll take all the sun I can get! Love the shoes, by the way!

14. March 12, 2014 / 6:40 pm

Another great look! Love the brogues, the cap, the nail polish – great attention to all the little details that make a look unique! So happy to have discovered your blog!

15. March 14, 2014 / 2:47 pm

LOVE you in that HAT!!! Really though I am obsessed with the color of those pants!!! Fabulous!!!
    C

16. March 15, 2014 / 1:13 am

So adorable! Those wing-tips are the best. 🙂

Jen @ Librarian for Life & Style

17. March 16, 2014 / 6:50 pm

I really like this outfit! I love the hat and the shoes. I like the photos, good for you for bucking the photograph system, haha.

18. March 18, 2014 / 8:16 pm

I adore this outfit. I have always loved this sweater (very much), but combined with those green trousers and fabulous shoes… brilliant.
    As for femininity (not an easy word) with man-outfits… I have a hard time. You need good and long hair for that. Which is why I do not wear a man-outfit too much. I have beautiful orange brogues but need a stylist to wear them.
    Greetje