A Butterfly Print Maxi Dress With Black Lace-up Heels

Butterfly print maxi dress, black lace-up shoes
Finally got round to showing you the butterfly print maxi dress I wore the weekend I celebrated my birthday with my family… it seems so long ago now. It’s also a very long time since I owned a maxi dress – not including the vintage gown I wore to the UK Blog Awards: The last one I had was cotton and had tiers of lace in the skirt (nicer than it sounds), but I stepped in the lace gaps and ripped it at least twice. I have a habit of getting my heels caught in a maxi when I kneel down: I know that ripping sound all too well (anyone else do this)?!

I got this dress (Marks & Spencer again, I make no apologies for my current M&S obsession) partly as a summer dress and partly for my holiday next month in Santorini. Cannot wait. I saw the Asos pointed lace-up heels very soon after I got the dress and knew they’d be perfect together. They also look great with cropped jeans so you’ll be seeing more of them, I can promise you that…! The mirrored sunglasses were a gift from my parents for my birthday (I chose them) and the coloured lenses couldn’t have coordinated better with the colours in the dress. The Yosa tough cuff was the perfect finishing touch.

So another throw-it-on dress for the summer, and again a nice change from my usual fit-and-flare style that I always tend to go for. I’m breaking out of my comfort zone left, right and centre this year 😉

Are any of you still planning a holiday wardrobe? I’m loving all the end-of-season sales for holiday essentials – if you can recommend any to me let me know in the comments (oh and if you’ve been to Santorini yourself, please tell me what it was like)!

Butterfly print maxi dress, black lace-up shoes
Butterfly print maxi dress, blue nails
Butterfly print maxi dress, mirrored sunglasses
Butterfly print maxi dress, black lace-up shoes
Butterfly print maxi dress, black lace-up shoes
Butterfly print maxi dress, blue nails
Butterfly print maxi dress, mirrored sunglasses
Butterfly print maxi dress, black lace-up shoes
Dress: Marks & Spencer | Shoes: Asos | Sunglasses: Asos | Earrings: Old, unknown | Watch: Seiko | Cuff: c/o Yosa | Nails: Barry M Gelly Blueberry

Shop the look:

TwitterFacebookBloglovinInstagramGoogle PlusPinterestYouTube
P.S. Like this post? You might also enjoy my Birthday Dinner Outfit (another maxi, this time a black and white striped skirt)!

Linking up to: Visible MondayLet It ShineMonday MingleStyle Sessions, Turning Heads TuesdayTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayBrilliant Blog PostsThrowback ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab Favourites

• August 12, 2015 / 9:57 pm

Aww thank you Megan! I was lucky with the fit – often they're waaaaaaay too low cut ;))

1. August 12, 2015 / 4:48 pm

Lovely dress! I like the butterfly pattern and it reminds of a top I once had from Uttam boutique! As for Santorini, you're going to love it! Shoes wise stick to sandals or low heeled ones for Oia and Fira! I've seen that you pinned my guide about the island, but let me know if you want any more tips! Oh and definitely go wine tasting if you like wine! Santorini has exceptional wines!

• August 12, 2015 / 10:00 pm

Thanks Anna! And yes I must revisit your post about Santorini – it's getting close now…! Unfortunately I'm not a wine lover at all (weird I know, though I wish I was) – and yes I may well ask you a question or two!! xx

2. August 12, 2015 / 5:21 pm

Long and lean and gorgeous, Catherine. That's a dress I'd wear once a week in Florida. xox

• August 12, 2015 / 10:01 pm

Oh thank you Patti – I dream of long hot summers…!!!!!!

3. August 12, 2015 / 9:45 pm

That dress is gorgeous, m&s have really up'd their game I got a shirt and trousers while doing a food shop on Saturday
    livinginaboxx | bloglovin

• August 12, 2015 / 10:02 pm

Haven't they, Lauren??!!! I bought so many things after doing my Supermarket Sweep-style reckkie round the store in Marble Arch when I did the video campaign there, I couldn't help myself! It's my new go-to store!!

4. August 12, 2015 / 11:01 pm

Hi Catherine,
    You are getting together a great wardrobe ready for your holiday. You will have a fabulous time in Santorini. Visited a few years ago whilst on a Cruise. The island is beautiful and you will find some lovely boutiques and jewellery shops. Sure you will be posting about items bought whilst there.
    Have a fabulous time.

• August 13, 2015 / 11:08 am

Arrrgh I can't wait, Marysia!! I haven't been on a holiday-by-the-pool type holiday in about 12 years… We've done mostly cultural holidays so I need a wardrobe to suit being in the sun! Everyone seems to have wonderful things to say abut Santorini, I think it's going to be fabulous :))

• August 13, 2015 / 11:09 am

Alice thank you! It was just coincidence about the blue nails, though I must say a happy one!

5. August 13, 2015 / 8:16 am

Ghille shoes!!!
    Love them!!!
    What is it about that lace up the foot? Why is it so sexy and elegant? I don't know TBH, but I love it!
    Even with a modest (and practical) heel, they work.
    Shoes do get me every time but I love your details too, Catherine.
    The subtle nail pick-out on your butterflies…and your glasses pulling out the purple.
    Genius, as always!

• August 13, 2015 / 11:30 am

Thanks Samantha – the shoes were a definite "I MUST have those!!!!"

6. August 13, 2015 / 1:11 pm

The maxi dress looks stunning on you! I especially love the added hint of blue in your nails too. So pretty. I wish I could say I've been to Santorini… alway thought it looks like such a beautiful place to visit.
    Suzy x

• August 13, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Yes it's been on our bucket list for many years, Suzy…!! Thank you my lovely xx

7. August 13, 2015 / 3:22 pm

I was about to make the same comment as Suzy until I read through all the comments, ah heck I'll say it anyway…Love that you picked a small detail colour from the dress to wear as your nail colour!
    Had a chuckle to myself when I read how long ago it feels since your birthday. Every year gets shorter arrgh make it stop! I recall my Dad saying that once or twice when I was a kid & I'd be completely puzzled as to what he meant….;-)

• August 13, 2015 / 8:19 pm

Michelle it was the colour I already had on my nails – then I decided to wear the dress: a happy coincidence!! Somehow it often works that way, I never plan these things…! Thanks sweetie x

8. August 13, 2015 / 10:34 pm

This maxi dress is beautiful Catherine! I love the mirrored sunnies with it too! I'm going on holiday for the first time in 8 years in September and I don't where to begin! 🙂

Take care,

9. August 13, 2015 / 11:06 pm

I haven't been into Marks and Spencers for such a long time, i must pay them a visit! I love the pink and purple butterfuly print pattern on your dress Catherine. The blue nails are the perfect finishing touch. You look lovely.
    PS Santorini sounds like the perfect place!

10. August 14, 2015 / 6:12 am

Ha! First we own the same tunic….now the same dress! I wore this dress on our honeymoon, so versatile, comfortable and pretty. Worked well in both the bright lights of Vegas and the verdant hills and white sand beaches of Hawaii!

11. August 17, 2015 / 8:50 am

What a pretty dress, dear Catherine! I love the cute butterfly pattern and the colours. You look adoreable!!!

Nadine (from Vienna)

my Blog

12. August 17, 2015 / 1:57 pm

I had a summer casual maxi dress in my closet for over a year until yesterday. I always had the feeling that when you wear a maxi dress all the looks will fall on you. But yesterday I didn't care, I wore my dress and loved it! Yours is great!

13. August 18, 2015 / 10:51 am

I do love a maxi dress, know what you mean about the voluminous skirts from a few yrs ago getting caught on everything! This one is more sleek and modern I think though, really elegant! M&S are nailing it at the moment!

14. August 22, 2015 / 7:38 pm

It is a lovely dress and those shoes (comfortable I bet) give the outfit a little pepper. You can be proud of yourself again. Well styled. I hope you will have a lovely holiday. Mine ia already long forgotten and I did not get round to visit England. My fault.