Casual Grey/Tailored Black Contrast

Denim, Tailoring and Sweatshirt Contrasts

Denim, Tailoring and Sweatshirt Contrasts

Denim, Tailoring and Sweatshirt Contrasts

Happy Thursday everyone – a quick outfit post today!

Only now, after looking at the pictures, do I notice something peculiar about this look: the top half is super casual, with denim and an ASOS sweatshirt, and the bottom half is very office friendly – tailored trousers, smart leather bag and nude courts. Still, I can wear almost anything at work so it didn’t matter. It amuses me sometimes how I manage to put outfits together at all at half six in the morning, bleary eyed and barely able to function 😉

These photos were taken in the final days of having any trace of daylight after work, hence the use of my trusty ring flash – there really wasn’t much light left at all. I can now see that black trousers don’t photograph well with flash outside at night as there’s little contrast with the background. Oh well, it’s all good practice and we know for next time!

Don’t forget to enter my giveaway if you haven’t already – check it out here lovely readers!

Denim jacket: ASOS, Scarf: Magazine freebie, Sweatshirt: ASOS*, Trousers: Topshop, Heels: Very, Bag: L.Credi at TK Maxx, Rings: ASOS*, Watch: Seiko, Earrings: H&M

Shop my look! The items marked* are the actual items, if available:

Linking up to:

Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style
Monday Mingle at Glamamom

1. LizOnTheHill
    November 1, 2012 / 3:52 pm

That scarf is a gorgeous color next to your face. And I am obsessing about fawn-colored shoes this season.

2. November 1, 2012 / 4:47 pm

I actually quite like the effect of the black on dark background. If you had not have said something, I would have thought it intentional. The accessories really pop in that photo. I also like the extra big turnback on the jean jacket sleeve. Sleeves are always too long on me, and this gives me another option.

Cheers, Sue

• November 5, 2012 / 11:48 pm

Ah I didn't think about how far I'd turned up the sleeves, Sue, but you're right it does make a difference! Thanks for your lovely comments! x

3. Anonymous
    November 1, 2012 / 5:34 pm

I love this mix of casual and tailored! It's fun! And it's hysterical that the scarf was a magazine freebie- I've been searching for one with just these colors. Such a cute look!

Minda

4. November 1, 2012 / 6:29 pm

Catherine I love how you teamed the casual sweatshirt and denim jacket with the tailored trousers and heels. It's so unexpectedly chic. I really love the touch of the colourful scarf 🙂

Take care,

5. November 1, 2012 / 6:49 pm

We can still see enough in the top photo, also of the black trousers. I like this look. Always interesting to mix casual with chic.
    Greetje

6. November 1, 2012 / 7:24 pm

LOVe this outfit. I LOVE a plain, simple grey sweatshirt – but the way you spiced it up with the scarf and denim jacket – from casual to FAB. LOVE!
    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:

7. November 1, 2012 / 8:12 pm

I love classic black trousers like that! They can be dressed any way from fancy to super casual. And it helps that they are always so comfy. 🙂 Even with the flash, I think your photos look well done. You do have an eye for photography! <3

toni

8. November 2, 2012 / 12:50 am

I love a good denim jacket! I think they work with pretty much anything, casual or dressy.

9. November 2, 2012 / 2:09 am

Like Heather, I love the denim jacket with just about any other piece, and this whole look is casual-fabulous!

10. November 2, 2012 / 12:08 pm

Mixing fancy and sporty is one of my favorite looks. And also? I LOVE that last photo of you. So pretty, and that's a true story. The end.

11. November 2, 2012 / 3:31 pm

Great scarf and jacket! I love the mix of casual and office-y.
    And your bun is darling!
    xo, A

12. November 2, 2012 / 6:36 pm

Hi Catherine! I found your blog from the What I Wore challenge! Love your posts. So glad I found your site! xo Lacey

13. November 3, 2012 / 2:35 am

I particularly love that scarf! It really brightens up your whole look 🙂

14. November 5, 2012 / 2:24 am

I like how the casual and more "business-y" elements ground each other. The bright scarf is the perfect touch!