Autumnal Seventies Style | Oversized Sweater and Floppy Hat

Seventies style - oversized purple knit, floppy hat
The cooler weather has meant that I’m rediscovering lots of items I’d [sort of] forgotten that I had. This autumn I’m finding that I’m wearing quite a few pieces for only the second time – I often buy things in the sales just as the seasons are changing so might get one or two wears out of them before the weather gets too warm/cold. This oversized roll neck sweater was only worn once to London Fashion Week in February and I never got round to wearing it again – till now.

I went for a seventies-style look by adding my floppy felt hat (worn just once before) and the uber bargain that was the eagle necklace from Asos. I’ve had it for ages but not worn it yet because of the awkward length: too short for a pendant, and too long for a choker. However, the style of this sweater allowed me to thread a plain gold chain through each end of the eagle necklace and hide the ends under the roll neck… ta-da, one perfect-length statement necklace!

To tone down the seventies feel I added dark skinny jeans and my Kelya silver and white brogues, rather than going for flared jeans and block heeled boot. I generally prefer flashes of retro style teamed with modern pieces (it’s how I approach wearing vintage) to create a more eclectic look that I feel more comfortable in.

Do you mix up your decades at all? Which is your favourite decade to emulate and what sort of pieces do you wear – do share in the comments!

Seventies style - oversized purple knit, floppy hat
Skinny jeans, white and silver brogues
Seventies style - oversized purple knit, floppy hat
Purple knitwear and statement necklace
Seventies style - oversized purple knit, floppy hat
TwitterFacebookBloglovinInstagramGoogle PlusPinterest
P.S. If you like this floppy hat you can see the last time I wore it here!

Hat: Asos (similar), Sweater: Diesel, Jeans: c/o !iT Collective, Necklace: Asos (similar), Sunglasses: French Connection, Brogues: c/o Kelya Shoes, Bag: Asos, Watch: River Island (I like this one), Nails: Maybelline Gel Nail Colour Divine Wine 265

Linking up to: Visible Monday, Let It Shine, Share in Style, Monday Mingle, Style Sessions, Trend Spin Link-Up, What I Wore Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, Passion for Fashion Friday, Friday’s Fab Favourites

1. October 20, 2014 / 3:45 pm

those shoes are awesome!

• October 21, 2014 / 7:59 am

Thanks Stephanie – the sweater is a beaut, isn't it…?! x

• October 21, 2014 / 8:00 am

I fluctuate between decades I want to emulate but I think autumn is perfect for a seventies feel! Thank you sweetie x

2. October 20, 2014 / 8:17 pm

Love this look chick, I alWays buy things in the sale and wear them once too. That necklace is amazing
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

• October 21, 2014 / 8:01 am

I do get round to wearing them again eventually, Lauren… when they come out of storage it's pretty much like having a new piece!! Thank you my lovely x

3. October 21, 2014 / 4:37 am

Are those – gulp! – POCKETS in this amazing purple turtleneck, dearest Catherine?! I think I just arrived in sweater heaven!! And your floppy hat and eagle pendant make this outfit both a little bohemian and a little rock-and-roll…a combination that happens to be a personal favourite!! XOXO

• October 21, 2014 / 8:03 am

Yes they are pockets, Monika – and I had no idea there WERE pockets on it until this weekend! I discovered them and was super surprised (and pleased)!! Thanks so much as always lovely Monika xx

4. October 21, 2014 / 10:54 am

I love your cool, casual chic look ! The big, cozy sweater is a great contrast to your skinny jeans!
    Red Reticule

5. October 21, 2014 / 11:31 am

I love, love, love this outfit. The only thing I would add is flared or wide jeans – but then I can't wear the skinnies the way Catherine does…

6. October 22, 2014 / 12:05 am

So I totally need your shoes love the metallic on them! And of course your sweater is in my favorite color;)

Aloha, Kathleen | House of Polynesia

• October 22, 2014 / 10:32 am

The shoes are pretty cool, aren't they Kathleen?! And I'm loving purple everything at the moment too! Thanks so much x

7. October 26, 2014 / 6:15 pm

Great look! You are right, better to have a flash of the seventies than all over.
    Greetje

• October 27, 2014 / 11:27 pm

I do feel a bit "overboard" if I do a decade from head-to-toe. Some can pull it off, but I prefer to mix it up a bit. Thank you Greetje my lovely x

8. October 27, 2014 / 11:42 pm

Love that hat, i also shop the sales and store away till the right season x

• October 27, 2014 / 11:56 pm

It's great to get them out and have hardly remembered them, isn't it Laurie…?! Thanks hun x