Warm tones and texture mix

Sweater: Zara, Coat: Local fashion show, Hat: F+F, Trousers (part of suit): Next, Shirt (just seen): Very, Boots: Bertie at ASOS (on sale still), Necklace: ASOS (on sale still), Bracelets (right hand): New Look, Debenhams, ASOS, Watch: Red Herring, Vintage bracelet: Revintage Jewellery

This fabulous bracelet is a one-off piece by Rebecca of Revintage Jewelleryvisit her etsy shop here… her pieces are beautiful.

(If you haven’t commented on my “To tweet or not to tweet” post and you have some good advice for me, please leave me a comment here and vote Yes or No to NDAL on Twitter on my side bar – one day to go! Thank you so much!)

I have quite a few winter coats, but this one seems to be my go-to winter outerwear. What I love about this coat are the sleeves – I thought they would annoy me being short, but it means I’m forced to wear long gloves or something with nice sleeves/cuffs underneath.

Funnily enough, I really wrestled with buying this coat… I saw it at a local fashion show a couple of years ago and it looked great on the model, but I dismissed it immediately due to my shape: when trying to work out ‘my style’ a few years ago, I read everything there was on dressing for your shape. I read that big boobs and high necks or double-breasted anything should NEVER be mixed. So even though I really liked this coat on, I just left it on the rail with those words going round in my head. Until the end of the evening, that is, when I just grabbed it and thought what the hell, I just like it.

And would you believe, I’ve had so many comments on the blog and in person about what a nice coat it is… goes to show the rules about shape are made to broken. Yes, they can be good guidelines but this is my best fashion advice: put the outfit on and photograph yourself in it – how do you look in the photograph? You will see yourself in a way you never do in the mirror – I guarantee you will see what suits you and what doesn’t.

Hope you’re having a nice week – almost the weekend again!

Linking up to:

g*rated

five days five ways | feature friday free for all

Photobucket

1. February 10, 2012 / 12:42 pm

Love this whole look…really like the coat…and love the touch of the blue nail polish! You do such a nice job with your styling!!

2. February 10, 2012 / 1:19 pm

Great advice, Catherine, about photo-ing oneself in a look and then evaluating – it's spared me some real fashion faux-pas. You look wonderful – I can see why this coat is your favorite!

3. February 10, 2012 / 4:12 pm

I love how creative you are with your pants. I feel that this is key to not dressing bland. It's been an area for me that I do struggle a bit with because I'm not as brave as I'd like to be but I'm working on that. I just am never satisfied with my outfit unless my pants are either grazing the top of an ankle boot, tucked into some tall boots, or some colorful sock is sticking out just under the hem. I've been tall all my life so I use to struggle with pants being too short. But now it's really "anything goes" as far as length in concerned. It's how you pull it all together that makes it work. Thanks for inspiring!

• February 10, 2012 / 9:09 pm

Gosh, thank you Joni – I'm so glad I've inspired you, that's what it's all about! Most of my style has been honed through studying other bloggers and gleaning tips from them that I then try… some things work, others don't. But it's the photographing of the outfit that tells me whether it truly looks okay: if you haven't tried it, do it while just experimenting with items in your wardrobe! It really works!! C x

4. February 10, 2012 / 6:23 pm

I agree that it looks great on you…nevermind what those books said! You have the style and the confidence to pull it off now…and the shorter length sleeves look GREAT displaying the top/jewelry underneath. Neat effect!

<3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

• February 10, 2012 / 9:11 pm

Hee hee thank you Cambria… funny how things you think might be ill advised purchases often turn out to be the best…??!!!! Catherine x

5. February 11, 2012 / 4:48 am

LOVE, you have the prettiest hair:-) Have a fabulous weekend.
    ♥ Winona

6. February 11, 2012 / 4:38 pm

wow it is ecxatly what I say: we should know the rules to break them after! hahaha

If I love something and this thing is perfect on my… why not buy it?

Loved your post, you mix of textures and prints! I certainly I loved your coat! It is really amazing on you!

Kisses
    Cri. (ilpiccolomondodicri.com)

• February 11, 2012 / 7:14 pm

Hee hee I completely agree with you about breaking rules, Cri…! Thanks for stopping by and your lovely comments! C x

7. February 11, 2012 / 8:12 pm

Loving those pants!!!! Thanks for linking up honey! Kori xoxo

8. February 12, 2012 / 6:12 am

The layering of textures and patterns is absolutely lovely! I adore the color mixing, too.

Van @ The Clothes We Wear

• February 13, 2012 / 11:57 pm

Thank you Shermineh, and welcome to my blog – so nice to be following each other! Glad you like my outfit, see you again I hope! Catherine x

9. February 13, 2012 / 6:16 pm

LOVE this look, Catherine! I'm featuring your rockin' ensemble on my fb page today! : )

10. February 13, 2012 / 6:17 pm

I'm following you now (though I sure thought I already was!). : )