Navy Vintage-Style Fit-and-Flare Dress With Simple, Summery Accessories

Navy floral vintage-style fit-and-flare dress, white cardigan
The day I wore this vintage-style fit-and-flare dress [last week] from Fever London was one of those days where I was determined to wear a summer dress, not matter what the weather. Unless there was a heatwave (haha!) we were going to be indoors anyway for dinner at my sister’s, so I took a cardigan for when the sun went down and braved any potential chill with bare legs and my trusty age-old strappy wedges.

This is my favourite style of dress: A fit-and-flare is absolutely my best and most flattering dress shape. I like my shoulders and arms, I have a reasonably trim waist and a full skirt covers my fluctuating bum and hips. I think finding a dress that suits your style, your personality and your body shape is key to having a wardrobe that works. You’ll always have a piece that you can fall back on time and time again, and you buy several in different colours and prints and you know they’ll always work. I’ve just bought this pink one from Boden and have my eye on another blue and white floral dress from Fever London – my summer wouldn’t be quite right without lots of these dresses.

Zooey Deschanel knows what she’s doing, if you ask me.

Do you have a tried-and-tested dress style that you always come back to time after time? What about it makes it your favourite – do share in the comments!

P.S. Don’t miss my great-nephew’s brilliant photobomb on this shoot – follow me on Instagram while you’re there!

Navy floral vintage-style fit-and-flare dress
Navy floral vintage-style fit-and-flare dress
Navy floral vintage-style dress
Navy floral vintage-style dress
Navy floral vintage-style fit-and-flare dress
Navy floral vintage-style dress
Navy floral vintage-style dress
Dress: Fever London SS14 (this one is very similar and I love this one too) | Cardigan: Asos | Heels: Faith (I like these ones) | Necklace: c/o SENCE Copenhagen | Watch: Asos (similar) | Earrings: Topshop (similar)

Shop the look:

Catherine
TwitterFacebookBloglovinInstagramGoogle PlusPinterestYouTube
P.P.S. You might like to see how I styled this dress last year with lots of layering and pattern mixing!

Photos: Silver Londoner | Linking up to: Visible MondayLet It ShineShare in StyleMonday MingleStyle Sessions, Turning Heads TuesdayTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayBrilliant Blog PostsThrowback ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab Favourites

1. June 22, 2015 / 7:52 pm

What a beautiful dress Catherine! The colour really suits you and works amazingly with your hair 🙂

Take care,

• June 23, 2015 / 10:01 am

Thank you so much Daniella – the navy certainly shows off the red hair, doesn't it…!

2. June 22, 2015 / 9:10 pm

I've been waiting for this post ever since we got a sneak peek on Instagram! Should have known it was from Fever, I love their dresses. Fit and flare dresses are always a winner for me, too. 🙂 x

• June 23, 2015 / 10:01 am

Hehe thanks so much, Adele! Fever are so good at dresses, especially my favourite fit-and-flare style!

• June 23, 2015 / 10:02 am

Thank you Monica! My great-nephew kept saying I had a "badge" – turns out he meant the bow…!!!

3. June 23, 2015 / 7:20 am

Such a pretty dress, dearest Catherine; I'm loving the white-on-blue stylized floral pattern…and the cute bow- belt detail!! This silhouette really IS super-flattering, and I'm so excited that I finally took the plunge and invested in a white dress with a similar shape – which you saw on my blog last week! – and possibly a skirt (ahem!) as well!! 😉

• June 23, 2015 / 10:04 am

Monika that white dress was a dream!!!!!!! I think I'd probably live in dresses if I could – the British weather just doesn't give us the opportunity unfortunately. Thank you so much my lovely xx

4. June 23, 2015 / 12:28 pm

Prettiest dress! You look gorgeous wearing it. xox

5. June 23, 2015 / 5:42 pm

White on navy works so well, doesn't it? They bring out the best in each other. And the bow at the waist is the finishing touch. Without it, the dress would still be lovely but less interesting visually. The bow elevates it and gives it a stylish twist.

• June 27, 2015 / 6:01 pm

I love the bow too, sweetie – Fever do really lovely touches on their dresses and you're right about the bow! They do a mean pattern too ;))

6. June 23, 2015 / 5:48 pm

My favourites are the bodycon dresses from Karen Millen. Bones fans will know which ones I mean: dr Camille Soroyan and I share the same wardrobe! I'm about 2 sizes bigger than her, but that doesn't really matter. I'm also a boyish shape so this dress style works for me. I do wish I had her toned arms though, I'm forever looking for cardigans to wear with my dresses…

• June 27, 2015 / 6:02 pm

It's great to find that perfect shape to always fall back on, isn't it Lieve…?!

7. June 23, 2015 / 6:06 pm

Great dress. There is a reason that women used to wear mostly dresses, they are flattering to female body. I love the wild look on your hair.

• June 27, 2015 / 6:03 pm

The hair wasn't intentional, Kelly – sometimes you just have to go with whatever it feels like doing…!!! Thank you sweetie x

• June 27, 2015 / 6:03 pm

That combination works so well for me, Jodie!! Thank you my lovely xx

8. June 24, 2015 / 8:58 am

This dress is so pretty and I love it

9. June 24, 2015 / 10:36 am

I am in love with this dress!! Being a dress girl all my life, the print and fit of this dress looks fantastic on you!! The fit and flare shape is so flattering!!
    xx

• June 27, 2015 / 6:05 pm

I wish I had the opportunity (read: weather conditions) to wear them all the time, hun!! Alas, the British weather doesn't allow it…! Thank you my dear x

10. June 26, 2015 / 8:19 pm

Such an adorable dress, and the blue is perfect on you!

11. July 1, 2015 / 5:53 pm

Yes indeed, a very lovely dress on you. And you kept your jewellery small. Clever.
    Greetje

• July 27, 2015 / 1:16 pm

Thank you Greetje! A statement necklace would definitely have been too much x

• July 27, 2015 / 1:17 pm

Aww thanks girls! Sometimes those "can't do a thing with it" hairdos are the best…!