After nearly a whole month of posting my regular Monday, Wednesday and Friday posts on my Facebook page, I’m pleased to say they seem to be really popular with everyone! So here’s my first round up of all the Musings Monday, Helpful Humpday and Photo Tips Friday posts in case you missed any. It also means that you can Pin these images if you wish (which of course you can’t do on Facebook – at least I don’t think you can).
Let me know if you’ve been following these posts and if you’ve found them interesting/useful – and if you have any ideas for future posts (Photo Tips Friday, for example) then mention that in your comment, too!
Is it just the fashions that make so many 40+ women look better now than they did in their 20s? Are we misled by the dated hair and make up of the 1980s/90s… or do we simply embrace a more youthful look these days? More…
1. I’ve never seen a Harry Potter movie
2. I’ve never been to a hen [bachelorette] party – didn’t even have one myself
3. I’ve never eaten a KFC
4. I never permed my hair in the 80s (I was the perfect age for it)
Why in my head do I think I’m really, really smiling for a photo, then the photographer says “SMILE”?! I’m thinking that my face is looking more and more miserable as I’m getting older… does this happen to anyone else?
They’re beautiful but the pollen is EVIL! Cut them off as soon as the flower opens or your clothes will get covered in pollen if you brush against them. Best way to get rid of pollen if you do get it on your clothes? Don’t touch it – carefully use a vacuum to suck it up.
PLUS they’re toxic to cats so don’t let your kitty near them! Read here > http://www.stargazerlilies.net
People need to recognise you from one place to the next!
Using six different pictures will make you look like six different people – and harder to get to know.
Ideally choose a clear head shot with strong graphic colours and shapes.
A smile and visible eyes (no sunglasses) tend to be more welcoming.
Top, top tip: Register your chosen avatar on http://en.gravatar.com so wherever you login or comment it’ll be recognised and show your profile pic.
Want to create your own little Favicon (a tab icon) for your blog? It’s quick, easy and instantly makes your blog look more like a brand!
1. Go to a favicon generator, e.g. www.favicon.co.uk to create a 16×16 .ico file
2. In Blogger, go to the Layout option (see below for WordPress)
3. Click on ‘Edit’ in the Favicon box
4. Choose and save the .ico file you have just created… done!
DO NOTE that it can take a few hours to show up in Chrome – try clearing your cookies and cache on your browser. Your new favicon will show up in Bookmarks too which = instant branding! (Here’s a “how to” for WordPress blogs: https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-favicon/)
It’s SO easy with Tweetdeck https://tweetdeck.twitter.com, a free social media dashboard application to manage your Twitter account(s). You can see columns of your favourite hashtags all at the same time, you’ll find Twitter chats easier and BEST OF ALL you can schedule Tweets – even with images. And lots more besides.
PHOTO TIPS FRIDAY
Pictures of accessories or jewellery (or any small object) can be improved in 3 easy steps:
1. Take a large sheet of wallpaper or patterned paper that contrasts with or complements your object.
2. Lay the object down flat and photograph it from above (ensure you have lots of natural, diffused daylight).
3. In Instagram, crop the picture and add a filter… Ta-da!
Photograph portraits during the golden hour (the hour before sunset or after sunrise) to get the softest, most flattering light. Wrinkles will disappear, skin will glow, and hair will look golden…!
– Experiment with layers upon layers of filters (top left)
– Take advantage of low sun and create solar flare (top right)
– Use black & white for a change and increase contrast (bottom right)
– Get creative with viewpoints, like lying on the floor (bottom left)
1). Sunglasses – better than squinting in bright light
2). Spare charged camera battery
3). A UV or polarising filter on your lens also protects the lens from scratches