What to Wear Sightseeing | Knotted Shirt & Chinos at a 16th Century Castle

Green knotted shirt and chinos
The day we went to Pendennis Castle (built by Henry VIII, no less!) in Falmouth on our Cornwall holiday was yet another hot and windy day, so it was cool cotton and a hat all the way for me. I’m not adverse to knotting the front of my shirt when the temperatures rise (leaving your shirt out looks untidy and tucking it in makes me even hotter) – I even tucked the collars under to create a v-neck. Simple tricks like these make your pieces even more versatile and make them go from this style of shirt (worn in May) to the style I’ve worn here.

And so ends the series of outfits from my holiday – a whole month after we went! We haven’t had quite as much sunshine in the UK as we had that week, so we definitely picked the week to go, weather-wise.

Do you have any tricks that you use to make pieces more versatile? I’ve not tried wearing a v-neck cardigan backwards or wearing a maxi skirt as a strapless dress before, but perhaps you have… I’d love to hear your tips and tricks in the comments!

Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall

Green knotted shirt and chinos
Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall

P.S. Castles make great backdrops for outfit shoots. I’d recommend a day out at a castle not just for the exploring aspect but also for the endless photo opportunities…!

Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W
Blouse: c/o La Redoute, Chinos: La Redoute (old), Sandals: Next, Hat: Accessorize, Sunglasses: c/o Lulus (similar), Nails: Models Own Tangerine Queen

Linking up to: Visible MondayLet It ShineShare in StyleMonday MingleStyle SessionsTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayThree-Fer ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab Favourites

1. July 17, 2014 / 10:48 pm

castles are great for photos, agreed. You over there in the mother country have a much better assortment than we rebels do : > Love your cool and pretty look. xox

2. July 18, 2014 / 6:25 am

I try wearing dresses as tops, which isn't revolutionary at all, but still, kind of a new thing for me 😀
    Love this ensemble, the pants are kicking ass!

3. July 18, 2014 / 11:54 pm

I love how you've knotted your blouse. Its a lovely shade of green on you, from a distance it looks a bit like gingham. Not sure where my nearest castle is for photos!

• August 4, 2014 / 11:50 pm

Thanks Lorna – I especially love the pattern of the blouse, and yes it could pass as gingham! x

4. July 19, 2014 / 7:10 am

Oh..to live in a country with genuine castles, dearest Catherine!! So romantic!! And despite the tomboyish feel of your chinos-and-patterned-blouse outfit, it somehow feels romantic, too…with a little Brigitte Bardot and a little Audrey Hepburn tossed in for good measure!! 🙂

5. July 19, 2014 / 2:43 pm

Lovely outfit and so beautiful pics and I must say that I love castles!
    Fantastic post!

6. July 21, 2014 / 12:24 pm

The pattern on that shirt is so beautiful. I am doing a lot of knotting with my t-shirts, shirts, blouses, maxi skirts/dresses etc, but I haven't done the backwards thing yet either. What I did do in June is using a castle for a photo shoot 😉

Alex – Funky Jungle

7. July 23, 2014 / 8:33 pm

Super cute shorts!

8. July 27, 2014 / 4:09 pm

Lovely, flattering and great pictures.
    Greetje
    PS I so wish I had gone on holiday in England this year.

• August 4, 2014 / 11:52 pm

We did have such lovely weather in June (and most of July)… raining now in August though, boo!