Birthday Party Outfit | Puff Sleeve Blouse & Floral Pencil Skirt

Floral pencil skirt & patterned blouse
As soon as I got back from Paris* on Sunday I had an hour or so to change and head straight over to my parents’ house for my dad’s birthday party – and luckily I had my outfit all organised before my trip. I’d been dying for a special occasion to wear my pretty floral pencil skirt from Great Plains (it had the perfect colours to be paired with my La Redoute green patterned blouse) – as a lover of black background florals it has the perfect combination of dark to light that’ll work in the summer with bare legs, and in the winter with tights. Some ladylike heels, dark sunglasses and crystal drop earrings finished off a very simple but elegant outfit.

I urge you to check out Great Plains – if, like me, you thought they were perhaps a slightly old-fashioned catalogue brand, well I’ll be honest and say that yes, I thought they were too. However, they’ve had a rebranding and I’m pleased to say that both the website and the clothes are now extremely chic, very modern and still quite reasonably priced. I was hesitant to check them out when I was approached but I’m so glad I did; if you like Zara, French Connection or Mango I reckon you’ll love Great Plains as well.

Have you rediscovered a brand lately that’s had a makeover? What made you go back to them, and what was their style before and after? Do share in the comments!

*Paris posts to follow this weekend 🙂

Floral pencil skirt & patterned blouse
Ruffled green patterned blouse & crystal drop earrings
Green puff sleeve patterned blouse

Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W
Skirt: c/o Great Plains, Top: c/o La Redoute, Heels: Aldo, Earrings: Accessorize (in store only), Chevron rings: Asos, Sunglasses: c/o Lulus (similar), Watch: Debenhams (similar silver, similar gold), Nails: Models Own Utopia

Linking up to: Visible MondayMonday MingleFunday MondayStyle SessionsTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayAll Things ThursdayThree-Fer ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab FavouritesSunday Style Link-Up, Fashionably Employed Link Up

1. May 13, 2014 / 2:12 pm

You look gorgeous as usual! Hope the party was good fun, looked like the sun was shining unlike in Paris! x

• May 17, 2014 / 6:37 pm

Thank you lovely Annie – it was sunny but VERY cold (hence the pose in the last photo)!! xx

2. May 13, 2014 / 2:20 pm

I really like Great Plains, definitely never thought they were an old fashioned catalogue brand but I think that's because an insert fell out of red magazine years ago & the colour and patterns immediately appealed to me!

• May 17, 2014 / 6:38 pm

It's been a long time since I looked at them I must admit, but their designs are great now I think 🙂

3. May 13, 2014 / 3:24 pm

Perfect partywear, that's a lovely outfit. I'd never thought before about the dark and light in a skirt making it suitable for winter and summer, that's very forward thinking! I hope your Dad had a good party, and I can't wait to hear all about Paris! P x P.S. rediscovered Great Plains recently in House of Fraser, have my eye on a few things!

• May 17, 2014 / 6:39 pm

I only thought about the dark/light thing when looking at the photos, Sarah! Clever, eh ;))

4. May 13, 2014 / 3:32 pm

Gorgeous, Catherine! You know that's my style and I love wearing this look. Great Plains is new to me and I just had a look at their dresses. Definitely worth a second look…!

I look forward to your Paris posts!
    Annette | Lady of Style

• May 17, 2014 / 6:39 pm

Awww thank you Jess, I can totally see you wearing this outfit I must admit xx

5. May 13, 2014 / 5:22 pm

Excellent match! Simple and impressive!

6. May 13, 2014 / 8:33 pm

A beautiful skirt indeed Catherine. Looks lovely with the printed blouse. Wonderful outfit, stylish & chic 🙂

Take care,

7. May 13, 2014 / 9:06 pm

So beauteous! I love this whole look, top to toe, and I'll have your gorgeous hair too, if I can : > xox

• May 17, 2014 / 6:41 pm

Oh Patti no – you rival me for sure in the pretty hair stakes with your gorgeous curls!!! Thank you =mwah=

• May 19, 2014 / 12:40 am

Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, too xoxo

8. May 14, 2014 / 1:04 am

Dear Catherine, I'll bet your dad liked this look a wee bit more than the ripped jeans you wore to visit a while back, hmmm?! 😉 So pretty and birthday party-perfect!! I'm often hesitant about a "puffed" sleeve and ruffles, but this Redoute blouse is gorgeous…I absolutely love the pattern and colour combo; and I agree that it's a "match made in heaven" for that floral pencil skirt!! XO

• May 17, 2014 / 6:42 pm

Haha you remembered about the ripped jeans, Monika!! Funnily enough my parents commented on me wearing ripped jeans in the Woman & Home magazine photo shoot… they weren't impressed ;)))

9. May 14, 2014 / 3:43 pm

Catherine you are the high priestess of pattern mixing and this outfit is a perfect example! Gorgeous.

• May 17, 2014 / 6:43 pm

Alison that's a wonderful description, thank you so much! I may just have to quote you one day…!!

10. May 14, 2014 / 6:07 pm

Very pretty & feminine look!
    Dawn Lucy

11. May 16, 2014 / 1:40 pm

That really is a great look – the skirt is gorgeous and matches the blouse perfectly! And the green also looks wonderful with your red hair. If you're interested, I host a weekly link up called Fashionably Employed to showcase professional / sophisticated style. I think this outfit would make a great contribution if you're like to join (no worries either way). Thanks for sharing the great look!

~ Jen

• May 17, 2014 / 6:48 pm

Thanks so much for the invitation, Jen – I've now linked up! Great idea for a link up hun x

12. May 23, 2014 / 8:26 pm

I just love this skirt. It can be paired with many tops. The outfit is just gorgeous. 🙂

13. May 24, 2014 / 11:44 am

Oh yes, indeed a very elegant combination. You look slim and tall in it. Hope your father's birthday was nice and you didn't fall asleep because of your Paris weekend.