How to Mix Up Florals, Gingham & Denim

Denim, gingham & florals
I think I mix patterns more during the summer than at any other time of the year – gingham and florals make a nice change from the oft-seen stripes and florals (but I love that combination too). Prints in blue with a classic cropped denim jacket make for a surprisingly neutral outfit; I added colour with my tan shopper – which will always match my hair if nothing else – and some nude touches with T-bar wedges and a plaited belt.

I find dressing in the summer so much easier than during the colder months because I don’t have to factor in how cold I’m going to be, or how many socks I need to put on, or whether my hat, scarf and gloves will coordinate. You only ever need the basics at this time of year, even if the temperatures haven’t started soaring yet. As it’s now June and officially summer, I want to feel some proper heat – please? Hurry up summer, because 14Β°C and drizzly just doesn’t cut the mustard…!

What patterns are you mixing at the moment? Or do they make you wince a little (like my sister, though surprisingly she quite liked this gingham and floral combination…)?! Do share in the comments, lovely readers!

Denim, gingham & florals
Denim, gingham & florals
Red hair & denim with gingham

Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W
Denim jacket: Asos (similar), Gingham shirt: Marks & Spencer (similar), Trousers: Fever London, Belt: Asos, Wedges: Unknown (old), Bag: c/o La Redoute, Watch: Asos, Bracelets, New Look, Nails: Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Lychee

Linking up to: Visible MondayMonday MingleFunday MondayStyle SessionsTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayThree-Fer ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab FavouritesShare in StyleSunday Style Link-Up

• June 5, 2014 / 1:01 pm

Aww thanks Katy – I think the trick is to ensure you have at least one colour that runs through both… it's taken me a while to get it right though!!

1. June 3, 2014 / 3:38 pm

Adorable Catherine! The pattern play of gingham and floral is delightful! And, the denim and shades of blue are always a favourite with me.

• June 5, 2014 / 1:02 pm

I've just realised I've been wearing a lot of blue lately, Sue!! Thanks hun x

2. June 3, 2014 / 3:41 pm

This is a great mix, keeping all your colors similar. Love the studded bracelet to. xox

• June 5, 2014 / 1:03 pm

Funnily enough the denim jacket wasn't planned, Lauren – I only wore it because it was a bit chilly! Then I preferred the look with it on πŸ˜‰

3. June 3, 2014 / 8:20 pm

I love the way you have styled these two prints! The denim jacket brings a casual flair to the outfit and the blue tonal pallet with the neutral touches works perfectly πŸ™‚

Take care lovely,

• June 5, 2014 / 1:07 pm

I always love your descriptions, Daniella!! Thank you sweetie x

4. June 3, 2014 / 11:48 pm

I simply love your hair styled off your face this way, dearest Catherine!! And the combination of blues in your gingham top and floral pants is gorgeous with that caramel bag…I happen to have the same colour-scheme going in my Monday blog post!! πŸ˜€

• June 5, 2014 / 1:08 pm

I love 'caramel' instead of 'tan', Monika – I'm going to say that instead now!! Thank you my lovely xx

• June 6, 2014 / 2:38 am

A yummy bag needs to have a yummy colour name!! πŸ˜‰

5. June 4, 2014 / 9:50 pm

What shoes to wear in this weather? I hate getting wet feet – but wearing winter boots is sooo depressing.

• June 6, 2014 / 12:40 pm

Agreed, hun – there comes a certain I won't wear boots, even if my feet freeze..!!!

6. June 7, 2014 / 2:34 am

This outfit is total perfection! Love the pattern mixing and all the blues are so pretty on you. LOVE!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

7. June 7, 2014 / 7:28 am

Perfect printmix, Catherine! You are so right to stick with one colour, makes it so much easier.
    I love the nude and "caramel" accessories.
    I though I had left a comment already but it has been so busy at work and on the blog, I am a bit behind. Luckily we have a long weekend, although the brilliant and hot weather makes it difficult to do any work at all…

Have a lovely weekend, dear!
    Annette | Lady of Style

• June 9, 2014 / 9:11 am

That's so not fair about your hot weather, Annette – please send some our way!! Thank you my lovely x

8. June 12, 2014 / 8:22 pm

I love it on you. You are one of the masters (if not THE) of pattern mixing. I suck at it, but I like it.
    Greetje

9. June 19, 2014 / 12:37 am

I love gingham! I love how you've mixed it with the floral print. I think it works so well because both patterns are white and blue, it flows perfectly! I love how you've layered the look with a t-shirt underneath and the demin on top.