What To Wear To The Office Christmas Party | A Complete Outfit For £50

Black and white print dress, statement necklace & strappy heels
Trying to budget for everything related with Christmas at this time of year can be hard – not least when we want an outfit to wear to the office Christmas party (and let’s face it, we usually want something new to wear, don’t we). So when Matalan asked me to take part in a style challenge to create a complete Christmas party outfit for £50, I jumped at the chance because it seemed an impossible task!

The two main “ingredients” for a party outfit are a great dress and shoes, and this is where most of your budget is used up. After looking at their website, I found this fabulous patterned midi dress on sale for the princely sum of £8 (now sold out, sadly) – it’s a great fit and because of the pattern (i.e. not being sparkly or sequinned) will be a great summer dress as well. And with ankle strap heels for just £15, it left a fair bit to spend on accessories, and this is where the sparkle comes in.

I spent as much on the necklace as I did on the shoes, but it’s a beauty and we all know how I’m a sucker for a statement necklace! Adding a crocodile-effect purse as a clutch and earrings (set of three), the whole outfit came in at a smidge over my budget: £51 in total. But to be able to get a head-to-toe outfit for that price is truly astonishing; I was was a little worried what the quality would be like, but I was pleasantly surprised to be honest and really pleased with the final look.

How about you – do you have a Christmas party lined up and are you on a (clothes) budget this year? Let me know what you’ll be wearing!

Black & white print dress & strappy heels
Black and white print dress with statement necklace

Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W
All items c/o Matalan: Printed jersey midi dress (sold out) £8, Beaded collar necklace (sold out) £15, Mock crock purse (used as clutch) £8, Ankle strap sandals £15, Round stud earrings (set of 3) £5. (Nails: Barry M Cyan Blue)

All the midi dresses below similar to mine are less than £30!

Linking up to: Visible MondayMonday BloomMonday MingleFunday MondayWardrobe WednesdaysWhat I Wore WednesdayAll Things ThursdayFashion InformantThree-Fer ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayStyle Elixir

1. November 15, 2013 / 4:02 pm

You look absolutely stunning in that dress, Catherine! Perfect for a Christmas cocktail party!

xo,
    Grace
    A Southern Drawl
    Also, feel free to check out my InPink Giveaway!

2. November 15, 2013 / 5:20 pm

I love this and I love the fact it can be worn again…so many holiday party pieces are hard to work into a day to day wardrobe.

• November 18, 2013 / 12:41 am

That's what I thought – it works just as well as a daytime piece as it does a party piece! x

3. November 15, 2013 / 5:21 pm

Stunning dress and at a great price too. The accessories often make the outfit don't they?

Plus it's a bond you can wear them both in the summers months too.

X x

4. November 15, 2013 / 6:11 pm

I LOVE everything about this outfit. But what really makes it is the hair. Perfection. xx

5. November 15, 2013 / 6:33 pm

A fancy jersey dress is the perfect thing for a Christmas party! You get to look good AND feel good. Freedom of movement for dancing, stretch for an extra Christmas cookie, yep you have me convinced! :o)

Gotta say, my first thought upon seeing the first photo was, "Wow, nice hair!" THEN I looked at the outfit.

• November 18, 2013 / 12:42 am

Haha thanks hun – like the point about stretchy fabric!! xo

6. November 15, 2013 / 8:00 pm

lovley dress♥
    was it not to cold at the shoot?
    is that right? my english is not so goos 😉
    greetings

• November 18, 2013 / 12:44 am

Thank you – and no I wasn't cold… I was FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!! hehe 😉

But last winter was so long and so cold I'm used to doing shoots in the freezing cold, the warm weather we had in the summer seemed more strange!! xx

7. November 15, 2013 / 8:39 pm

The price is great and the outfit as well. We have no office Christmas party this year – but with friends you can celebrate anyway. 🙂 When I look at your pictures, I'm starting to freeze. I hope the photoshoot was over quickly. 🙂 Have a nice weekend – Conny
    Pants and Tops

• November 18, 2013 / 12:45 am

Thanks Conny! Yep I'm practised at fast photo shoots for that very reason 😉

8. November 15, 2013 / 11:03 pm

Wow you look stunning Catherine! Can't believe you got all this for fifty pounds and so perfect for a Christmas party 🙂

Take care,

9. November 15, 2013 / 11:53 pm

gorgeous dress and gorgeous you! I have only a couple of casual get-togethers to plan for, but would love to wear this dress. xox

10. November 16, 2013 / 5:30 am

Such a pretty dress, it looks great on you!

blue hue wonderland

11. November 16, 2013 / 7:03 am

Good purchase, and gorgeous dress, very versatile, love the print. You look very chic and sophisticated!
    FF

12. November 16, 2013 / 7:05 am

You managed to snag this lovely frock for £8?! You lucky girl, you!! I have to say that this is my favourite look on you since I started following your blog…you're positively glowing!! But a great bargain does that for us, doesn't it?! 🙂

• November 18, 2013 / 12:45 am

Gosh Monika that's so lovely of you – thanks so much!!!

13. November 16, 2013 / 8:38 am

You prove that style doesn't depend on money! Fabulous look, Catherine.
    My office Christmas Dinner dress will be on the blog next week.

Annette | Lady of Style

• November 18, 2013 / 12:46 am

Thanks Annette – and I'll look out for your outfit! x

14. November 17, 2013 / 12:26 pm

Great look! Great style!
    Sooo pretty!!

OXOX Dawn Lucy aka fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

15. November 17, 2013 / 6:07 pm

Sod the clothes, look at your figure! What exercise do you do, arms especially? I'd love to know 🙂

• November 18, 2013 / 12:49 am

Wow thanks so much, that's really kind of you!! Funnily enough tomorrow I will be publishing a post about keeping fit in your 40s – top tips for all ages really though, so look out for it!

(BTW my arms are naturally very skinny, always have been, no matter what weight I am. Doesn't mean my legs and bums stay that way when I get heavier, though!! Everyone's different – but doing regular toning exercises with light/medium weights have helped give my arms a little shape.)

• November 18, 2013 / 5:35 pm

Fab timing! I think I need to do more weights. You're lucky to have trim arms – full press ups required for me, ouch! I run loads (20 very hilly and pretty fast miles a week) and walk everywhere, so legs etc v slim. Just the bloody arms…!

16. November 18, 2013 / 9:06 am

You look stunning in that dress, Catherine. Amazing indeed.
    .Did you get any traffic from Share-in-Style?
    Have a grand week.

• November 20, 2013 / 1:52 pm

Thanks Sacramento – and yes I did, thank you so much! Got to look at My G-Analytics in a little more detail this weekend 🙂

17. November 19, 2013 / 12:20 am

Very pretty Catherine.

18. November 23, 2013 / 7:47 am

I think you did a great job and I love all the pieces. But I prefer an outfit with tights and sleeves. Even at Christmas parties it can be cold.
    Greetje