Adding a Little Edge to the Classic Trench Coat

Trench coat, leopard top & electric blue leopard skinnies
I don’t think trench coats come much more “modern classic” than this. If I had to ask a someone to design one for me, I hope this Laura Ashley trench is what they’d come up with… is there anything more satisfying than a wardrobe must-have that’s just perfection? As well as being a perfect fit, the length is spot-on and I love the asymmetrical buttoning and flap detail. Iconic British label Laura Ashley is not a brand I’d normally associate with wardrobe essentials – but they have excelled themselves with this beauty.

So a truly classic item of clothing needs classic styling, right? Er, no – not this time, at least. To counteract both the Britishness of the brand and the classic design of the coat, I decided to go edgy with some mixed animal prints (jeans, top and bag), fierce jewellery and heels. And what I also love about the coat is that it looks as good done up as it does open so you can show your outfit underneath.

My photos should be up on the Laura Ashley blog very soon – I’ll update a link as soon as they’re on there. A few other bloggers are styling the same trench so I’ll be interested to see how they’ve styled it. I can’t wait to wear it more as the weather gets chillier (I’ll probably regret saying that)…!

Have you found yourself the perfect wardrobe essential? I’m thinking trench coats, crisp white shirts, little black dresses – or are you still looking? Let me know!

Trench coat & electric blue leopard skinnies
Trench coat & electric blue leopard skinnies
Trench coat, electric blue leopard skinnies, snakeskin bag & black pumps
Trench coat & electric blue leopard skinnies
Trench coat & electric blue leopard skinnies
Classic trench coat

Social Media Icon - Bloglovin+Social Media Icon - TwitterSocial Media Icon - FacebookSocial Media Icon - InstagramSocial Media Icon - Google+Social Media Icon - Pinterest
Shop my look!

Coat: courtesy of Laura Ashley, Top: Topshop, Jeans: Asos, Heels: Aldo, Bag: courtesy of Laura Ashley, Brooch: Gift, Black spike bracelet: Asos (this one is almost identical), Other bracelets: New Look / Asos, Watch: Asos, Gold ring: Asos, Nails: Revlon Elegant

Linking up to: Share Your Style SaturdaysVisible MondayMonday BloomMonday MingleCreative MondaysFunday MondayWardrobe WednesdaysWhat I Wore WednesdayStyle ElixirPassion for Fashion FridaySunday Style, Share-In-Style

Laura Ashley kindly gifted me this trench coat and bag. All opinions are my own, however, and 100% honest.

1. September 2, 2013 / 1:39 pm

That's the best-looking trench I've seen in an age, C! love the mix of animal brights with this classic coat. xoxo

2. September 2, 2013 / 1:47 pm

I love the cut of that trench! I have a classic London Fog that i found in pristine shape at a thrift store, and I can't wait to wear it again this fall. I love the way you have mixed your leopard. I would have never thought two shades of it could look so fabulous together!

3. September 2, 2013 / 2:28 pm

I'm so much loving this outfit! you look super classy but the print pants just give it an edgy look! amazing 🙂

Ester @ Drawing Dreaming

4. September 2, 2013 / 3:33 pm

The trench looks fabulous on you, and love the brooch too. Can't go wrong with leopard print either. I love the asymmetric, single breasted design of the trench. I'd have to say that slim dark (black or navy) pants have become my indispensable wardrobe item.

5. September 2, 2013 / 6:42 pm

This is indeed a very flattering cut and fits you very well! Nice how you styled it with skinnies and high heels!
    FF

6. September 2, 2013 / 6:57 pm

Oo Catherine, I love your trench coat and I love that you've styled this timeless classic with blue leopard skinnies! Perfect contrast and the strong colour teamed with the neutral makes for a very complimentary combination that I simply adore! 🙂

Take care,

7. September 2, 2013 / 7:46 pm

Great trench coat and loving your shoes and jeans 🙂

Thanks for sharing with us at the hops…

8. September 3, 2013 / 2:53 am

That's one great coat and the fit is beautiful on you! I like how you styled it with the bright pant.

blue hue wonderland

9. September 3, 2013 / 3:46 am

Love love love the brooch! I'm all about the trenches too. I have a few from London Fog, with removable warm lining. In my rainy climate (on the south-west coast of Canada), they can get me through most of the winter. In the rest of Canada? They'd get someone through to late September and wouldn't be worn again until maybe late April or early May.

10. September 3, 2013 / 3:47 am

You look amazing, as usual, and I love that bag! XO, Jill

11. September 3, 2013 / 7:34 am

Love the trench. For me a plain t-shirt would have worked better – just a smidge too much animals but that's just me – did you change the buttons on the trench or was that how it came ? Good work !

12. September 3, 2013 / 6:34 pm

That trench is perfect! Not too long, not too short. It fits you beautifully. My essentials are blazers – There are a couple that I keep reaching for time and time again. And a good bag always saves the day for me.

13. September 4, 2013 / 2:48 pm

Perfect trench, you are so right. And if there is anybody who can customize such an item, it is you. Love the look. Nice bag too by the way.
    (Looking at it for the third time, it dawned on me, you probably have to take off your bracelets in order to get out of your coat hahaha.)
    My favourite wardrobe piece at the moment is my pair of black skinny trousers.
    Greetje

14. September 4, 2013 / 7:50 pm

I love trench coat and I like the way you mix & matched it. I can only wish I can wear a trench coat so very often here.

15. September 8, 2013 / 11:09 pm

Fantastic photos Catherine, you look so beautiful! xo

16. December 8, 2013 / 1:32 pm

So happy to have found this blog. Very inspiring! Thank you.