A Bold Dress & DIY Red Carpet Heels

Red hair and red & blue dress
Red and blue dress
Red and blue dress
Red and blue animal print midi dress
Red and nude heels
Red hair and red & blue dress
Red and blue dress
DIY nude heels with Swarovski crystals
DIY nude courts
DIY nude heels with Swarovski crystals
I am loving my new dress from ASOS – I wore it to dinner with my newly DIYed heels at The Llawnroc Hotel in Cornwall this weekend* where we had the most amazing stay… It was the perfect excuse to get dressed up because I was invited to take part in a shoes DIY challenge and I had to show them off too!

I was sent a pack of bling crafting items including Swarovski crystals to turn a simple pair of shoes into an award ceremony worthy pair. I had this pair of completely plain nude courts that were just screaming out for a makeover โ€“ we’ve had the Golden Globes and BAFTA awards and of course the Oscars were last night, so it was the perfect time of year to treat my feet!

I decided to go easy on the crystals, but I think that the simple design I used sets off the the two-tone effect beautifully with the plum coloured trim. I’m really pleased with the colours I used – nude courts are exceptionally flattering but can be a bit dull, so that pop of red at the toe and heel adds some much needed colour. If you wanted to see how I gave them a makeover I will show the shoes DIY in full in my next post.

Happy post-Oscars Monday everyone!

Dress: ASOS, Magenta clutch: American Apparel, Heels: DIY nude courts (old), Spike bracelet: ASOS, Mixed metal bracelet: Debenhams, Gold ring: ASOS, Nails: Models Own Purple Grey

*I’ll be writing a little review of our stay on Facebook this week if you want to read more about The Llawnroc Hotel.

Linking up to: ‘What I Love’ Linky PartyVisible MondayMonday MingleMy Style MondayWardrobe WednesdayWhat I Wore WednesdayStyle Link Up

I have been compensated for this feature by Ladbrokes.

1. February 25, 2013 / 2:42 pm

Fantastic shoes!! I can't believe that's an American Apparel clutch…I must go find one!

2. February 25, 2013 / 4:36 pm

I can't believe those shoes are DIY! I'm so impressed! Can't wait to see the tutorial. That dress is STUNNING! It looks gorgeous with your skin tone and hair color.

3. February 25, 2013 / 5:10 pm

you look DROP DEAD GORGEOUS in this dress……and the shoes really are the perfect touch!!!!
    brooke @ what2wear

4. February 25, 2013 / 6:24 pm

You look gorgeous!!
    I can't believe these shoes are DIY. Even I love nude shoes, they would be boring with this dress. Your outfit is all about colours including your beautiful hair.

Lady of Style

5. February 25, 2013 / 7:37 pm

Catherine you look beautiful!!! Ah your dress my dear, the print is gorgeous and I lovee your shoes, they look perfect with the dress. Stunning photos as always ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care,

6. February 25, 2013 / 10:54 pm

The dress is divine and, you bedazzled those pumps yourself? smashing! xoxoxo

7. February 25, 2013 / 11:21 pm

How lovely, Catherine! I'm so glad you're taking advantage of your beautiful surroundings at the hotel. It gives your photos the feel of a magazine editorial spread. I love the pattern and colors of the dress, and I adore the way that the pumps turned out. Gorgeous look, Lovely!!! ~Sarah of Sarah Hulbert Style

8. February 25, 2013 / 11:56 pm

Love, love, love the dress! I will share this post with my DD who appreciates shoes more than I ever could.

9. February 26, 2013 / 12:47 am

awesome love it! You are looking uber hot as always x

10. February 26, 2013 / 1:11 am

That dress is perfect on you and the shoes are awesome!

11. February 26, 2013 / 3:14 am

Those red-capped shoes are incredible! And they go perfectly with that vibrant dress (and your hair)!

12. February 26, 2013 / 5:58 am

Perfect dress! Great colors. I like the story book quality of the lovely photos!

13. February 26, 2013 / 7:32 am

Wow. smashing Catherine. Love this dress on you. And love the shoes too both with and without the crystals.

14. February 26, 2013 / 4:16 pm

That nicest pictures, you look beautiful. The dress and shoes are fantastic.

15. February 26, 2013 / 4:51 pm

You look wonderful in those bright colours.

16. February 26, 2013 / 5:13 pm

Animal print, either literally or referentially, is everywhere. Stunning dress – and those shoes are so perfect!

Spashionista (Alicia)

17. February 27, 2013 / 12:36 am

My husband just walked past and commented 'I quite like what that ladies got on!' – hilarious!!! The purse is almost magenta ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for linking up with WW xo

• February 28, 2013 / 11:34 pm

Haha that is funny, Kelly… I think we're always amused when our other halfs (halves?!) actually comment on blog pictures and outfits. Thank him for me! :))

18. February 27, 2013 / 3:09 am

WOW that is an awesome dress!!!! great outfit
    found you via Wardrobe wednesday.
    im from 40plusbeauty.wordpress.com

19. February 27, 2013 / 4:29 am

The shoes are fab! And the dress is a winner too. Thanks so much for showing off your style on Monday Mingle!

xoxo Nicole

20. February 27, 2013 / 6:44 am

Hi Catherine,

You look stunning!!! and i can't believe you DIY'd the shoes! It's beautiful! definitely following your blog:)

21. February 27, 2013 / 9:20 am

Always fabulous and inspiring, Catherine.
    Love you in dresses and skirts so much.

22. February 27, 2013 / 11:18 am

That dress is so pretty and compliments your hair beautifully!

23. February 27, 2013 / 12:33 pm

I love your dress AND your shoes look gorgeous!

24. February 27, 2013 / 2:37 pm

Lovely dress. You look so great! Thanks for linking up to My Style Monday!

25. February 27, 2013 / 4:00 pm

I love this look. I think the clutch goes great with everything, it is my favorite part!

26. February 27, 2013 / 4:27 pm

That dress is gorgeous! I've had my eye on a dress that looks exactly like this one (vintage and on Etsy), so when I saw your dress I did a double take. It's beautiful and you look great. I'm here by way of The Pleated Poppy's link up!

More Modern Modesty

27. February 27, 2013 / 4:52 pm

Wow! Looks great. The shoes are fabulous and the dress makes an amazing statement with the bag and your hair. I love a bold use of colour and this is certainly one! Excellent.

28. February 27, 2013 / 5:03 pm

This outfit looks amazing! Very vibrant. ๐Ÿ™‚

29. February 28, 2013 / 12:39 am

just enough details! love this!

30. February 28, 2013 / 3:06 am

gorgeous! the dress cut and colors, the contrast clutch, the cap toe shoes! love it all. your hair makes me want to switch back to red.. i think brown has had its time.

31. February 28, 2013 / 3:53 pm

whoa! i can't believe you made those shoes. gorgeous! i was hopping around this morning and am visiting you and newly following from wardrobe wednesday-come by and visit me when you have a chance http://www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com.
    by the way, the color of your hair is so vibrant and pretty with your blue eyes, i'm sure you get that alot. ๐Ÿ™‚
    have a wonderful rest of the week, it's almost friday! yaya!!

32. February 28, 2013 / 8:52 pm

This is so pretty. You look fabulous. Perfect dress, perfect shoes.

33. March 5, 2013 / 5:07 pm

that dress on you is to die for! and your hair color! I lOVE!

34. March 10, 2013 / 7:04 pm

No way you are in your 40s?!?! Cool blog, great to stumble upon when my wardrobe needs perking up!

35. April 9, 2013 / 5:21 am

Hi Catherine,

I am 35 and started blogging December last year. Your post inspired me to blog more. That blogging is not actually for the young ones but for women who can draw an inspiration like you do. I am a fan and I am following you. I added your link on my Daily Reads.

Best regards,

36. June 8, 2013 / 8:54 pm

OMG! you are truly stunning that dress and shoes combo really brings out your hair colour. And the blue in the dress brings out the blue in your eyes (don't know if you have blue eyes but they look it in this picture)
    I just came accross you blog from the poppy loves linky party. One of the reasons i love love love blogger.

37. September 29, 2013 / 4:48 pm

Hello – I just discovered your fab blog via Poppy's Linky Party! I would never have put all those items together but you obviously have a talent for it – beautifully simple. I've just started a blog on my website http://www.origamigirl.co.uk and will look at yours as a great role model! Thank you! Vicki