All black (with lace, pleats and neon)

So this is a major departure for me, considering I am scared to death of wearing black – in the daytime at least. But my sister passed on this (unworn) dress to me, and I thought it was so pretty with the lace panel and pleated front that I had to find a way of styling it. So when Everybody Everywhere for June was neon, it seemed the perfect opportunity to wear it my way – with some of the brightest accessories known to man 😉

I kept all the basics of the outfit – dress, jeans and shoes – black to prevent the silhouette from being broken up. So that left me to add neon in the form of my satchel and yellow scarf, a touch of purple in a reduced necklace from Boots (so cheap!) and my new favourite Models Own nail colour. (I know, I know, I say that about every new nail colour.)

And for those of you who are watching the Euro 2012 football, I am wearing orange in support of Holland… I’m not supporting England this year due to the woefully bad team and lack of any respectable players. Now I’m a big footie fan, but until we have a team I have any respect for, then it’s Holland all the way for me…!

Hope you’re all well and enjoying a good start to the week 🙂

Dress: Hand-me-down, Jeans: River Island, Wedges: ASOS, Scarf: ASOS similar, Bag: The Satchel Co similar, Necklace: Boots (currently on sale instore), Sunglasses: Therapy at House of Fraser, Watch:, Rings L-R: Boots / H&M / H&M, Gummy bangles: eBay, Rubber studded bangle: San Francisco giftshop, Heart charm bracelet: Tiffany & Co I like this one, Nails: Models Own Hedkandi Beach Party HK01 similar

Linking up to:

Image 4970

What I Wore Wednesday at The Pleated Poppy

1. June 12, 2012 / 10:37 am

Scared of wearing black? Don't come here, 90% of people wear black & all the shops are full of it! I don't know whether it's because of the All Blacks or whether Kiwi's just prefer to blend in.

It's a gorgeous dress & I love it with the neon, especially that bag xo

• June 12, 2012 / 4:38 pm

I think after I decided to rid my wardrobe of so much black many years ago, I went to the other extreme and now only feel comfortable in bright colour!! Glad you like the dress (I bet it would look BEAUTIFUL on you!)… thank you Julia! C xx

2. June 12, 2012 / 11:59 am

Soooooooooooooooo brilliant, ahhhhhhhhhhhh

3. June 12, 2012 / 2:07 pm

Oooh I think you've done a great job wearing black! That dress has such a fun shape and so many interesting textures…plus your accessorizing is rocking.

<3 Cambria

4. June 12, 2012 / 2:26 pm

oooo catherine i love this.. i totally forgot about ebew this month and neon makes me nervous. Seeing how you've done it here though makes me think i should give it a go. Inspirational as always, thank you lovely! xo

• June 12, 2012 / 4:41 pm

Oh Rachel I think with your dark hair it would look amazing (how about pink or orange neon?). Thanks for your lovely comment sweetie :))))

5. June 12, 2012 / 2:30 pm

I LOVE that bag…it is amazing!!!

6. June 12, 2012 / 2:31 pm

Wonderful mix of black with brights, Catherine, right down to the fab nails and ring. And supporting your team too! : >

7. June 12, 2012 / 5:35 pm

Well done. Love the pops of neon. Love your nails even more. I'm a nail lacquer addict. Sometimes the best pieces are those passed on from others 🙂

• June 12, 2012 / 8:29 pm

It's funny – my sister and I are completely different body shapes, so we rarely share clothes… maybe that's why she passed it onto me!! Thanks Kerissa, glad you liked it! C x

8. June 12, 2012 / 6:17 pm

You are such a color inspiration for me. Although I have not broken the umbilical cord with black and grey, I am using more and more color 🙂

9. June 12, 2012 / 8:41 pm

wow you look fierce! I am amazed at how versatile that bag is.

10. June 12, 2012 / 11:15 pm

The black is an unusual departure but it works! I love the pop of neon. Looks great!

11. June 13, 2012 / 3:45 am

When I saw your photo on the EveryBodyEveryWear page, your look stood out in part because it de-emphasized the neon with the black. And the black dress has a beautiful bodice on it.

12. June 13, 2012 / 4:53 am

You are a woman after my own heart – your use of colour and proportion knocks my socks off every time. I love it. You're super-inspirational.

13. June 13, 2012 / 12:31 pm

I love all black outfits and this is one of my favourites. I especially like how the accessories really stand out!

14. June 13, 2012 / 4:03 pm

Every day is the most beautiful outfit. How difficult each day comment you surpass yourself. I love the mint with the black, is a marvel. Your suggestions are lovely, but I can say that?

15. June 13, 2012 / 7:55 pm

Oh I love, love, love this!! So colorful yet pulled together with the black dress! You have such fun with your accessories- my kinda girl!!

x carlina

16. June 14, 2012 / 12:33 am

Catherine! I've got to say, this has to be one of my favorite outfits of yours… absolutely gorgeous!

17. June 14, 2012 / 1:47 am

i love the necklace and scarf worn together. i have to try this…

18. June 14, 2012 / 8:41 pm

Although you already heard more than enough about this outfit, I decided to add my comment anyway. As I really like it. Black and white is my thing but bright colours suit me better. So combining these two is what I try to do often. You just always take these things ten steps further. Well done. Also love the shoes.
    P.s. What a pity you support my country as they are performing so badly. Never mind, orange is a nice colour.

• June 16, 2012 / 9:14 pm

That's really lovely of you to say, Greetje – thank you! Such a nice compliment! (Oh and I think my supporting Holland was the kiss of death, especially as England are now doing well. It's all my fault, I'm so sorry!! 😉 xoxo

19. June 15, 2012 / 4:51 am

Yes Im watching the Euro 2012 ,cant' wait for sat. match 🙂
    great look .It seems black is your color 🙂

20. June 15, 2012 / 10:17 pm

You look fantastic in all-black! Those pops of neon sure are fun, though 🙂 I'm curious about your wedges – are they comfortable? I've been wanting a pair of black wedges just like that, but I'd hate to order them if they weren't super comfy, since I think I'd want them to become my go-to shoes.

• June 16, 2012 / 9:17 pm

Thanks Stacey… yes I can confirm they are super comfy (as much as 5 inch platform wedges can be!) I wore them for the very first time to a wedding evening reception last month and wore them all night without any blisters or pain – I even had a boogie on the dance in them no problem. But Mr Summers did ask "are you okay up there?" heehee xoxo

21. June 17, 2012 / 3:19 pm

I adore the neon on black it is such an effective and statement look.

22. June 27, 2012 / 2:36 am

Love this outfit. The bursts of color amongst the black is really refreshing. You look fantastic!