Spots and stripes and gingham

This thrifted gingham shirt is fast becoming a staple in my wardrobe… this is the third time I’ve worn it on the blog. What I find funny is that I’ve now realised it’s definitely a man’s shirt (due to the side the buttons are on), even though it was being sold in the women’s section. I thought it was somewhat on the large side, though that hasn’t bothered me!

I really went all out on the pattern mixing here: I’m only missing florals and some sort of ikat or geometric print. (Maybe that would be just a little too much, even for me 😉 If anyone is hesitant about mixing patterns but wants to, then my advice would be to ensure you have a colour theme running through them (although I don’t “do” rules, I do think mixed patterns are easier on the eye if you do this)! Here, two out of the colours red, white, blue and black appear in each pattern.

An unexpected pop of dayglo bright from my neon satchel takes this outfit from a little preppy (I don’t want to say mumsy) to mildly in-your-face. Er, if that isn’t a contradiction in terms??

Yay it’s the weekend so enjoy it, lovely readers!

Sweater: ASOS, Shirt: Thrifted, T-shirt: Topshop, Jeans: Levi’s (old), Shoes: Dune, Belt: ASOS, Bag: Gift (The Leather Satchel Co), Sunglasses: ASOS, Watch: Seiko, Bracelets: ASOS / Topshop, Rings: ASOS / ASOS, Nails: Revlon Elegant 380 and Rimmel Sunshine

Linking up to:

Thursdays are for Thrifters at Brass in Pocket
Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style
Monday Mingle at Momtrends
What I Wore Wednesday at The Pleated Poppy

1. March 31, 2012 / 4:16 pm

LOL at "mildly in your face", although it's not a bad goal to aim for : > This outfit is so fresh and pretty, perfect for spring. You look wonderful, as ever.

2. March 31, 2012 / 5:29 pm

Great pattern mixing as usual. I love that shirt on you. I often go through my hubby's closet looking for button ups but they're just too big. The key is to find smaller sizes. That one fits you just right.

3. March 31, 2012 / 8:49 pm

You are definitely the queen of pattern mixing! I'm so impressed that you managed to work three prints into your outfit, but like you said, keeping them in the same color family helps the look stay cohesive.

4. April 1, 2012 / 1:15 am

The mixed prints are wonderful, but the striped sweaters in such bold colors are stealing the show.

5. April 1, 2012 / 1:41 am

Great look! You've got a lot going on, but it doesn't feel like too much. 🙂 It's polished and still very fun. 🙂

6. April 1, 2012 / 10:41 pm

Catherine I love that outfit on you. I like the colors and the flip flops and the bling awesome!

Kim,USA

7. April 1, 2012 / 10:49 pm

I love how bright this is!! And your red shoes are fun! There is nothing wrong with being "in your face"…when you look like you do!!

8. April 1, 2012 / 11:39 pm

Very pop art! I love it! Also love the fun of that 2nd-from-top photo with the doubling, as well as the bottom row patchworking your colour/print mix.

9. April 2, 2012 / 12:49 am

I absolutely love your fearlessness with color. This outfit is great and the pictures are fabulous.

10. April 2, 2012 / 8:55 am

I always enjoy your color combo and pattern mixing, you're such an expert. The whole look is so vibrant and pretty. I especially like the lovely contrast of the gingham and stripes. Your accessories is really fun and cute too! What a great way to start the week!

mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

11. April 2, 2012 / 2:17 pm

excellent pairing with the gingham and the stripes… plus your nails look so cool!

12. April 2, 2012 / 4:19 pm

I absolutely adore every aspect of this outfit. The colors are awesome! You look great.
    Creamy

13. April 2, 2012 / 5:55 pm

I love your gingham so much I went out and bought a red/white one for myself! This is a great outfit.
    Every time I am on Chictopia and an outfit catches my eye, it is you! You stylishly stand out from the crowd!

14. April 2, 2012 / 9:42 pm

The brights are so fabulous! I love the brights paired WITH brights. Who needs neutrals!

15. April 3, 2012 / 1:41 am

Red is so on my color lust list…LOVE this look!

• April 3, 2012 / 2:02 pm

Thanks Kristin… I've always thought I tended to stay away from red – doesn't seem the case now I think of it?!! xx

16. April 3, 2012 / 3:39 am

Apparently I need to get to ASOS ASAP. Great look and A+ for mixing patterns. Thanks for sharing on Monday Mingle.

17. April 4, 2012 / 4:33 am

Wow I love all the colors put together actually. They just go together and you look good. 🙂 Love it!

18. April 4, 2012 / 4:12 pm

Love this look! You are so cute too, and look at all them rings – awesome!

19. April 4, 2012 / 8:52 pm

love the combination!! 🙂 it looks really good! 🙂

20. April 5, 2012 / 2:43 am

I LOVE LOVE this sweater and those shoes! so cute!

21. April 5, 2012 / 5:23 pm

I love your accessories! And the bold striped sweater goes really well with the gingham actually- never would have thought to put them together. (So jealous of your hair color too!)

22. April 6, 2012 / 12:13 am

Catherine, I love, love, love, this outfit on you. Gorgeous. dawn suitcase vignettes xo

23. April 6, 2012 / 1:37 am

whether it's a man's shirt or a woman's shirt, it's a fabulous shirt, on you! your whole outfit is an amazing ensemble. i adore every exquisite accessory detail. you killed it! 🙂

24. April 6, 2012 / 9:12 pm

WOW
    BAM!
    what a gorgeous colorful outfit. It just makes me smile, and i adore your accessories, specially those pretty rings.

25. April 11, 2012 / 11:45 pm

I don't think this outfit could get any better. I love, love, love that sweater! Thanks for linking up with Thursdays are for Thrifters!
    -Meagan