Styling a Bardot-Style Black and White Gingham Dress for Summer

Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, Panama hat, pointed flats
Fit-and-flare dresses make me think 1950s. Gingham makes me think summer. A gingham fit-and-flare dress just makes me think 1950s Brigitte Bardot in the French Riviera. Whilst I may be more Ann-Margret (hair-wise) than Bardot and I’m just here in a little lane in South West England, I think I’d be happy to channel that “south of France 60 years ago” look every summer. This Hobbs dress is definitely the one to do that in.

I wanted to style it differently to how I wore it when I was featured in the Sunday Times Style magazine – it simply needed a Panama hat, flats and a cross-body bag to make it more casual. It’s still incredibly dressed up compared to what most women were wearing at the supermarket that day (yes, I braved popping in dressed like this to pick up a few groceries) but I figure that if I can’t wear summer dresses on an everyday basis, when can I? I somewhat long for the days when this would have been a very casual look… We’re back to the 50s again. Men and women wore hats, women also wore gloves, hair was always pristine. I think that’s a post for another time.

Are you comfortable when out in public if you’re more dressed up than everyone else? Do let me know!

Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, Panama hat
Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, pointed flats
Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, cross body bag
Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, silver arm candy
Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, Panama hat
Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, Panama hat
Not Dressed As Lamb | Fit-and-flare black and white gingham dress, Panama hat
Dress: c/o Hobbs | Hat: Tumi at Amazon (similar) | Shoes: Daniel Footwear (I like these) | Bag: Accessorize | Sunglasses: Ray-Ban Wayfarers | Watch: Asos | Bracelet: c/o SENCE Copenhagen | Nails: Revlon (similar)

Recreate the look:

Catherine
TwitterFacebookBloglovinInstagramGoogle PlusPinterestYouTube
P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe to my twice-monthly newsletter if you haven’t already – next one goes out tomorrow!

Linking up to: Visible MondayLet It ShineShare in StyleMonday MingleStyle Sessions, Turning Heads TuesdayTrend Spin Link-UpWhat I Wore WednesdayBrilliant Blog PostsThrowback ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab Favourites

1. July 6, 2015 / 3:16 pm

Nice to see that fab dress again Catherine, I still have the article from the Sunday Times. It's in a pile of other magazines featuring bloggers I know, gosh bloggers have had a lot of publicity in this last year!

I think you look fab, not too dressy at all for a trip to the shops. I don't mind being a tad overdressed for the supermarket. I would feel uncomfortable dressed in a sexy way to the supermarket though – I see girls in my local Asda wearing quite revealing outfits, and I would have to cover up with a big coat to go to the supermarket dressed like that. Yet I feel quite comfortable going to the supermarket wearing a 1940's dress. I am not sure what that says about me!! x

• July 9, 2015 / 10:08 pm

Yes there has been a lot of bloggers in the press, hasn't there Sarah…? S'all good I think!

Now that you say that about what girls wear out and about I know exactly what you mean, so maybe being dressed up isn't that different – just I'm somewhat more modestly dressed than them…! I think that 40s and 50s dresses are just about the most perfect thing for the English summer. Cucumber sandwiches and all that ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks my lovely x

2. July 6, 2015 / 4:03 pm

I honestly can't put into words how OBSESSED I am with your outfit. So fab! Have a great week!

• July 9, 2015 / 10:09 pm

I have lots more dresses where this one came from, Sacramento – you'll gonna love it!!! I'm planning on wearing them all this summer!

3. July 6, 2015 / 5:56 pm

Beautiful, love that dress. It's definitely a classic x

• July 9, 2015 / 10:57 pm

Hey that's a really good point, Jodie! Like when Carrie (SATC) goes to MacDonald's dressed in Oscar de la Renta or someone ;))

4. July 6, 2015 / 8:34 pm

Prettiest, smartest dress of the week, C! So classic and very you. xox

5. July 6, 2015 / 9:04 pm

Such a lovely, classy look. It never bothers me to be over dressed!

• July 9, 2015 / 10:58 pm

That's GOOD to hear, Louise. Yay for us dressed up girls!! Thank you hun x

6. July 7, 2015 / 2:37 am

This dress is adorable and you are absolutely right wearing it whenever you feel like. As my husband always says it's better to be overdressed then undressed. Besides, summer is too short to wait for a proper occasion

• July 9, 2015 / 10:59 pm

You're husband's a wise man, Anna!! hehe ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you my lovely, you're right about the summer being too short (I guess you're British?!)

7. July 7, 2015 / 5:05 am

I need this dress in my closet ASAP!!! Oh I wished the shipped to USA, this dress is just stunning and love how you styled it!

Alice

Would love to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

• July 9, 2015 / 11:00 pm

Alice my lovely thank you, though I think they've all but sold out now… I don't think Hobbs anticipated just how popular it'd be!! x

8. July 7, 2015 / 6:36 am

That's such a beautiful dress and it suits you really well especially with the hat. I do wish we could go back to the 50s but the only problem is that there was some discrimination so I'm happy where I am now haha
    Dalal x monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

• July 9, 2015 / 11:03 pm

Thank you, Dalal! I only meant about going back to that time in a sense of bringing the style back… So I should have said bringing the style back, not going back to that time!! I wouldn't actually want to go back to those days for all sorts of reasons, discrimination being one of many. Times are better now (certainly not perfect by a long way) but it's a shame we sacrificed style and having pride in our appearance along the way…!

9. July 7, 2015 / 9:50 am

I find people who see me on the regular are disappointed when I'm not overdressed! They expect it now. The girl in my usual coffee shop asked where my pretty dress was yesterday when I went in wearing jeans…

• July 9, 2015 / 11:04 pm

Aww George that's so sweet, I hope people I know think of me like that?! xx

10. July 7, 2015 / 2:27 pm

That is a great dress. I love the wrap around piece it reminds me of the walk away dress.

• July 9, 2015 / 11:05 pm

Thanks Jess – I love the wrap around part too. It helps when you've had a large meal…!!!

11. July 7, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Such a beautiful dress ! You look gorgeous ๐Ÿ™‚ x

12. July 7, 2015 / 4:41 pm

Catherine. First off, I love you in gingham, Second, I need to borrow the dress! haha, the gathering at the waist is so gorgeous! Love the added accessories as well. Have a great day!!

Thanks for linking up with Turning Heads Tuesday!
    jess xx

• July 9, 2015 / 11:07 pm

Jess thank you – I could see you in gingham. Another dress type to add to your fabulous collection, perhaps?!! ;))

13. July 7, 2015 / 5:59 pm

I love the way you say you wanted to add a hat and flats to your magazine image… I thought that too! I would even put on a pair of Superga's or similar to completely 'casualify' it.
    You look beautiful!

14. July 7, 2015 / 11:13 pm

This dress is beautiful on you. Absolutely perfect summer look!

15. July 8, 2015 / 2:47 pm

This dress is fabulous and perfect for the supermarket and maybe a farmers market. I'm so sick and tired of how people look like slobs now. That it's acceptable to go out and about in nasty gym clothes and tatty t-shirts. Yes, I get it, sometimes you have to run in and out of a place, but I was at a lovely outdoor mall yesterday, no quick in/out stores, but restaurants and boutiques and book stores, and I was dismayed at the number of women who looked just gross. gross, and dirty.ick. sorry, mini-rant. YOU LOOK FABULOUS!

16. July 8, 2015 / 4:45 pm

well this look is pretty much PERFECT. love the dress and fit..and with the hat…ADORE.
    C

17. July 8, 2015 / 10:54 pm

Yes to this dress! It's adorable.

Also, can I say, I really want your hair. It's a gorgeous colour. ๐Ÿ™‚

• July 17, 2015 / 10:45 pm

Elizabeth thank you so much…! I've actually gone a much brighter red since these pictures were taken!!

18. July 8, 2015 / 10:56 pm

I love that dress,it hangs beautifully on you #BriliantBlogPosts

19. July 9, 2015 / 5:57 pm

I am so in LOVE with this outfit! I will feature this look of yours on my Fridayโ€™s post. I run different themes everyday and that day is called They Got It Right! Thank you very much for sharing and keep in touch!

Please stop by today for Color and Grace Fashion link up! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Grace

• July 17, 2015 / 10:58 pm

Grace wow, I'm so flattered – thank you!! I'll pop over and have a look xx

20. July 9, 2015 / 8:50 pm

Oh, hey! We are gingham twins today! Your dress is quite dreamy. I agree, the fit-and-flare style is very flattering on you. Congrats on your Times feature!

– Liz @ Downtown Demure

• July 17, 2015 / 11:25 pm

Aww thank you so much, Elizabeth! I'ma sucker for gingham, I have to admit…!

21. July 12, 2015 / 3:38 pm

Your dress is just gorgeous, Catherine. And those are some exceptionally cute shoes. And that watch? Well, you know! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

22. July 12, 2015 / 6:34 pm

Oh …. so beautiful. Love this dress. Well styled too. I love it with heels and I love it with the hat and the flats. Do I mind being overdressed sometimes???? Hahahahaha. Never. I am so used to being overdressed I don't even notice it anymore (neither do my colleagues).
    Greetje

• July 12, 2015 / 6:35 pm

By the way… I do envy your razorsharp photos. Kuddos to the man.

• July 17, 2015 / 11:31 pm

Good for you with your being dressed up all the time, Greetje! And thank you for the lovely compliments… I'll also pass on your comments to the husband, he'll be pleased :)))

23. July 12, 2015 / 10:43 pm

I love the entire outfit but especially those SHOES!
    I love how sometimes a dress can give the persona of someone that wore the same style before you… almost like you're in costume but not?? It's a massive confidence boost for me.
    Gorgeous style xx

• July 17, 2015 / 11:37 pm

I know what you mean, Katie… it's a bit like taking on another personality?! Thank you so much xx

24. July 12, 2015 / 11:24 pm

You look simply stunning, I loved your photos in Style Magazine, just perfection and I adore a panama hat. Thanks for linking up to #brillianblogposts x

25. July 14, 2015 / 12:18 am

LOVE this dress!!
    Riva xx

26. September 30, 2015 / 8:37 pm

Hello – I have just joined you as a follower. This dress is just the thing I was looking for during the summer but without success, even in Paris. Anyway I have just sent over a mail order to Hobbs, and will be keeping it for next summer and forever, such a classic. Maybe I shall still get a few wearings this autumn before the clocks change.
    I am excited about receiving your next blog post. I haven't blogged for a few months, took a blog break but will be starting up very soon.
    Thank you for the fun read and nice to hear from another woman of a Certain Age.
    Bizzzzz,