Autumn Winter Trends 2013 | How To Wear Double Tartan (And Merry Christmas!)

Tartan scarf & trousers, white coat
Merry Christmas Eve lovely readers! Hope you’re all as excited about the festivities as I am 🙂

After several months of frugality since becoming a full time blogger, I finally gave in and treated myself to a few items in the last couple of weeks. Not the best timing, I know (seeing as Christmas is an expensive time of year anyway), but the seasonal sales and discount vouchers being thrown at me were just too tempting.

I desperately wanted to get something in tartan or plaid (aren’t they the same thing?) and had my eye on slim leg tartan trousers, but these ones from River Island just didn’t look right on me. So I reluctantly bought a pair of loose fit tartan check trousers from Asos – and I’m so glad I got these instead! Comfy, warm and a great colour combination. And I don’t know which I saw first, but I was drawn to this gorgeous red tartan scarf from Romwe… and this was a bit of a major sartorial moment for me: I have never worn red next to my face before. Red trousers, red skirts, red bags, red shoes – but never red tops or sweaters. I always thought it would make me look very red-cheeked, but after dipping my toes in the waters of red for my top half I may just consider something else in the same colour. I’ve always longed for a classic red dress – what do you think…?

Tartan scarf & trousers, white coat
Tartan trousers, white coat, tan boots
Tartan scarf, white coat
Tartan scarf, white coat

I’d like to wish everyone a VERY Happy Christmas – thank you so much for all the support you’ve shown and wonderful comments you’ve left me this year. I’m so happy to be doing this full time, and it’s all of you that make it so much fun and so rewarding. Enjoy your Christmas Day, and I’ll see you back here on Boxing Day for a quick hello!

Twitter 64x64 B&WFacebook 64x64 B&WBloglovin 64x64 B&WInstagram 64x64 B&WGoogle Plus 64x64 B&W
Shop my look! My cream coat is old but I’ve found a few lovely alternatives…

Scarf: Romwe, Coat: Debenhams (old), Trousers: Asos, Boots: Unknown (these ones are almost identical), Bag: Karen Millen, Sunglasses: Unknown, Watch: Asos, Fingertip rings: River Island, Nails: Models Own Grace Green (no longer available sadly – this one’s similar)

Linking up to: Visible MondayMonday BloomMonday MingleFunday MondayTrend Spin Link-UpWardrobe WednesdaysStyle SessionsWhat I Wore WednesdayAll Things ThursdayFashion InformantThree-Fer ThursdayPassion for Fashion FridayFriday’s Fab Favourites

1. January 7, 2014 / 2:08 pm

you look so nice and I love your scarf!!!

happy day!

MCarmen
    MyEmptyBag

2. January 1, 2014 / 1:49 pm

Great scarf. If it is not wool I would love to have it.
    Greetje

3. December 27, 2013 / 5:45 pm

I love love that scarf and coat, especially with your beautiful hair. Gorgeous. -Devin
    saltandpeppermoms.blogspot.com

4. December 25, 2013 / 10:51 pm

Oh, I think you look lovely in the red and a red dress would be simply stunning on you! Looking forward to more great posts in 2014!

• December 28, 2013 / 10:16 am

Thank you Carol – there will certainly be more to come next year 🙂

5. December 24, 2013 / 8:20 pm

That last picture is gorgeous – you'd look great in a red dress! Happy Christmas!

• December 28, 2013 / 10:15 am

Would you believe it Diane… I received a red dress for Christmas!! So I will be embracing more red 🙂 Thanks hun x

6. December 24, 2013 / 7:44 pm

A very Merry Christmas to you too, Catherine!! You know, I just can't make up my mind about the loose-fitting trousers trend…but these I certainly like!! Great colour and pattern; and your very feminine cream coat sets them off perfectly!! Love the big red-tartan scarf as well…I think it looks amazing against your red hair!! 🙂

7. December 24, 2013 / 5:12 pm

ok totally obsessed w/ these trousers!!!! such a wonderful vintage look redone to be more modern! love it. xoRach

• December 28, 2013 / 10:13 am

Thanks Rachel – they are a bit vintage aren't they…! x

8. December 24, 2013 / 3:14 pm

I love these loose-fit trousers, Catherine – and the whole look is so lovely. Merriest Christmas! xox

9. December 24, 2013 / 3:09 pm

Such an awesome outfit, you do plaid so well. Merry Christmas and I look forward to many wonderful posts in the New Year.

10. December 24, 2013 / 1:54 pm

I like your trousers. They look very comfortable. I have only recently bought some trousers (black office type) after being a skirts/dresses person for most of my adult life and still feel a bit self conscious when I wear them in public but I am determined to wear them more in 2014 and get some different styles as well

• December 28, 2013 / 10:13 am

Thanks Rebecca…! I'm always fascinated by those who don't wear trousers, I've known a few girls in my time who never wear them. But that's brilliant to embrace something new! x