Be warned: If you're not a fan of stripes, I'd suggest you look away now. Preppy style means stripes, nautical themes, more stripes, sweaters, yet more stripes, blazers, chinos,and yes - you guessed it - a few more stripes. But as someone who describes her style as "eclectic, erring on the side of preppy with a twist", it's safe to say I love preppy style.
As a child, I grew up watching Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly films and poring over their clean 1950s and 60s looks, so it's no surprise that I love me a cropped Capri pant with ballet flats and a blazer. I can remember thinking Ali McGraw in Love Story was everything I wanted to be in terms of her long raven hair and that classic Ivy League style.
Here I've featured 10 fashion bloggers who aren't necessarily 100% preppy; more, they all have elements of preppy style to a greater or lesser extent.
I'VE FEATURED 10 FASHION BLOGGERS WHO AREN'T NECESSARILY 100% PREPPY; MORE, THEY ALL HAVE ELEMENTS OF PREPPY STYLE TO A GREATER OR LESSER EXTENT.
Image credit above: Atlantic Pacific | Lead image, L-R: Classy Girls Wear Pearls | Prosecco & Plaid | Atlantic Pacific
So for all you Breton stripe fans out there, you're in for a treat. But let's face it, how many of us don't have at least one striped tee in our wardrobes...? ;)
WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON PREPPY STYLE? HAVE YOU FOUND ANY NEW BLOGS TO FOLLOW? COMMENT BELOW, OR TAKE IT TO TWITTER @NOTLAMB!
1. Kimberly - Penny Pincher FashionKimberly is impossibly chic and ladylike yet she has obtains a wonderfully fresh, girlish feel to her looks. True to her blog's name, her style is very affordable and very wearable - no high-end designer pieces à la some of the superbloggers.
Follow Kimberly on Instagram: @PPFgirl
2. Lauren - Style ElixirI've been following Lauren for as long as I can remember and have admired her impeccable style which is nothing short of classy, polished and elegant. Although she's a lover of dresses and heels I love her in jeans, a simple blouse and sneaks.
Follow Lauren on Instagram: @stylelixir
3. Jess - Prosecco & PlaidA blogger I've been following almost since she first started, Jess's blog epitomises that East Coast Rhode Island style. She'll touch on boho chic now and then but often has a lot of nautical themes going on. This is an interesting thing to note: Look how much she looks like a young Lee Radziwill, the younger sister of Jackie Kennedy, who was perhaps the Queen of Preppy Style. Spooky. Always inspirational - Jess's photos and those locations are to die for.
Follow Jess on Instagram: @jessannkirby
4. Sarah - Classy Girls Wear PearlsTake Kate Middleton's looks and Jackie Kennedy's style and you end up with Sarah Vickers. With probably the most classically preppy style in the blogosphere, Sarah is all about shift dresses, neat blazers, boat shoes and chinos. And yes, pearls do make an appearance, as well as stripes. Lots and lots of stripes.
Follow Sarah on Instagram: @sarahkjp
5. Kim - J'adore CoutureKim's style is less nautical and a little more "town preppy". She usually rocks killer heels and smart denim but will add preppy elements like stripes and blazers or a varsity jacket to create simple but chic, eclectic combinations.
Follow Kim on Instagram: @kimair
6. Nikki - MidlifechicA champion for the over 40 woman and a fellow member of the Over40Collective, Nikki's style is beautifully "British preppy". The former editor of Selfridges magazine, she's sure earned her fashion stripes: Tweed, wellies and shift dresses work perfectly alongside her signature Breton stripes, leather jeans and sharp, pointed heels. There's nothing this amazing woman doesn't know about the British high street.
Follow Nikki on Instagram: @midlifechic
7. Susana - A Key to the ArmoireIf you want unashamedly classic style with a little vintage and a lot of preppy style thrown in, look no further than Susana's blog. Stripes are everywhere, as are sporty looks inspired by tennis and golf. With legs that would be the envy of a woman half her age, she's got preppy style down to a (striped) tee.
Follow Susana on Instagram: @akeytothearmoire
8. Felicity and Lauren - Pretty Posh Oh My GoshTwo of the loveliest bloggers out there, Felicity and Lauren won the UK Blog Awards Best Fashion Blog Award in 2015 - and deservedly so. As longtime BFFs, this blogging duo work so well together, and they've got touches of preppy style in their elegant-with-a-touch-of-fun ensembles. With shoe collections and coat collections I'd kill for, don't miss their London locations and gorgeous Instagram feed.
Follow Felicity and Lauren on Instagram: @prettyposhomg
9. Krista - Covering the BasesI only found Krista's blog recently, but she's already won me over with her chic New York style and warm smile. Her style is more on the quirky side of preppy with lots of elements of on-trend pieces such as OTK boots and ruffles, but she also includes essential preppy touches with plenty of gingham, stripes and blazers or a pea coat. Wish I'd discovered her sooner.
Follow Krista on Instagram: @kristarobertso
10. Blair - Atlantic Pacific
I couldn't possibly have a top 10 of preppy fashion bloggers without including Blair Eadie, it's one of the laws of fashion blogging. I can't think of anything to say about her that hasn't been said already except: If you haven't heard of her before, where have you been...?!
Follow Blair on Instagram: @blaireadiebee
Follow Blair on Instagram: @blaireadiebee
LIKE THIS POST? YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO READ...
Linking up to: iwillwearwhatilike, Visible Monday, Turning Heads Tuesday, Brilliant Blog Posts, Passion for Fashion Friday